Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
151
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,289 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2018 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2018 Posts: 122 | While mocking up the front clip of my '51-3100, I came across a difference in the fender to dash brace rods specifications. My '48 - '51 Shop Manual, Section 11-5, Fig. 7 shows the left rod at 27 1/4" and right rod at 27" for the 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks. My '47 - '54 Factory Assembly Manual, Section 11, Sheet 12.00 shows the left rod at 27.48" and right rod at 27.25" for models 3100, 3600, 3800, 4000, 6000. I realize approx. 1/4" may not sound like much, but it does make a difference when it comes to panel alignment.
Any recommendations on which specs. I should use?
Thanks!
Charlie
'51 3100 5-Window (Restomod in progress)
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Just my comment: when I put my panel back together I used the dimensions listed in the manual but in the end, I ended up with measurements that didn't conform. Can't remember now what they ended up being but I adjusted, moved, twisted stuff to where it was "acceptable" ...at least to me anyway. These vehicles were used hard and earned their keep. I sometimes regard the specs as "starting points".......sometime I get lucky and the book stuff works!! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2018 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2018 Posts: 122 | Thanks for your comment, it's good info. I was thinking as a "starting point" I will split the difference between the two specs. and then I will only be 1/8" off! Thanks again!
Charlie
'51 3100 5-Window (Restomod in progress)
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,070 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,070 | An explanation of the difference may be that just about everything in the FAM is centered around the '54 models. That drawing you referenced is dated June of '53, so it's possible the specs changed a bit from '51. If you look at the cab weld checking instruction Section 1, Sheet 63.02 in the FAM, it says dimension tolerance is +/- 0.02 inches or just under 1/32 inch. I'm sure there's similar tolerances (or even greater) for fender alignment.
Yep, use those as a starting point and adjust things to fit correctly.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2018 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2018 Posts: 122 | That explanation makes sense, thanks. I enjoyed viewing the photos of your 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. You do excellent metal work! BTW, what method/media did you use to media blast your cab? Did you incur any warped sheet metal? I am pretty much finished with the rust/metal work on my '51-3100 and am planning on media blasting and epoxy priming when the weather warms up here. Thanks again.
Charlie
'51 3100 5-Window (Restomod in progress)
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,070 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,070 | Thanks for the comment on the metal work. (I didn't document the stuff that didn't look so good and needed to be redone  ) My blaster used a garnet media, I believe. He did a nice job on the cab, and the only spots where the metal warped were at the thin spots (mostly at the edges) that were already rusted nearly thru and needed to be replaced anyway. He came with his equipment on a trailer and set up an enclosure in my driveway to keep things contained.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2018 Posts: 122 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2018 Posts: 122 | Kevin,
Thanks for the info!
Charlie
'51 3100 5-Window (Restomod in progress)
| | |
| |