| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,462 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 1 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 1 | I would like to put disk brakes on my 61 Chevy c10 stepside, it has torsion bar front suspension and i was wondering if anybody knows of any good complete disk brake conversion kits so i can keep my torsion bar suspension.. i would also like to lower my truck and i have heard that you can raise a 4x4 with torsion bar suspension so i was wondering if you can lower it using the same idea as the raise... any information would be a huge help. thanks | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | Yes, you can already lower your truck as much as you see fit simply by adjusting the torsion arm bolts. You will need to re-align your front end after you make the adjustment. The disc brakes should be available through Chevy Duty, American Classic truck parts or Jim Carter Chevy. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 49 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 49 | www.mcgaughys.com .if you lower your truck with the torsion bars it will put the adjusters close to the ground.
64 c10 89 rs 62 econoline 50 ford coupe
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 12 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 12 | If you are trying to get it low AND run disk brakes remove the torsion bar set up and get a front suspension crossmember and components from a 85? or older chevy 2wd 1/2 ton pickup. Youll have coil spring front end, you can drag your front bumper with that setup if you want and the whole swap costs considerably less money then the disk brake kit for your truck. I know I just did the same thing. I lowered my truck 4 inches in the front with coils. I have disk brakes, all for 400-500 dollars. Plus the ride adn front sway bar you get makes all the difference in the world. Plus it all bolts right on!!!! | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 47 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 47 | 400-500 hundred?? I take it you found used parts?? AS I have a 62 that someone made into a 63 ( coil setup) not really sure what year but still drum brakes and 6 lug.
And am looking to get dropped spindels, disc brake. | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | Hey 62C10. Thanks! That is GREAT info. I've always thought (because I believed sombody) that the later stuff wouldn't fit these 60 - 62 "X"-frames. Does that ? mark mean your not sure if it was 85? LMC Truck does have drop spindles and disc brake conversions for 60 -62. It would cost more than the way 62C10 did it though, not counting your scavenging time and effort. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 12 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 12 | Sorry for the delay but iam very busy when in the garage. The ? mark ment I am unsure the year gm stopped making the style suspension I used. I know the one I used was from a 85 1/2 ton. There is some fab work involved but the main cross member is pretty much a bolt in deal. I made my own upper shock mounting brackets. I used the stock 1/2 ton monroe shocks but moved the mount up on the frame rail. There less money then those dropped shocks for the low budget guys. I also lowered my truck 4 inches in the back and used the same front shock for an 85 1/2 ton on the rear. you can use the stock hardware that comes with the shock you just have to drill a new mounting hole. Just an FYI on the shock thing. | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | Thanks once again! I'll be looking for an 85 junker with parts to scavenge. | | |
| |
| |