The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Millenimech, NJC, Forty9, tclederman), 79 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
Hey Bolters, anyone have a picture of where and how the return spring goes. Mine were both missing. Thanks Bill


1937 GC
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 439
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 439
just got a 37 and have same question. starting to tear down and having a heck of a time with those clutch head screws.


Larry
Old man᠁Old truck᠁neither one goes very fast. All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY.
If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
Be prepared for some work. I bought a set of clutch head sockets and it worked on some and not on others. Sprayed them up with kroil, let them set and tried again. One I could get a vice grips on also came out. Sometimes it helps to tighten a little bit first then back out. I am just about done with my truck after 2 years of work. If I can be of any help feel free to private message me or email. If you get inside the door and can see how the handle return spring is mounted please take a picture for me. Good luck, Bill

Last edited by Bill Trotter; 01/23/2020 12:38 AM.

1937 GC
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
The key to removing old rusted clutch head screws starts with Bill's advice above. Get the proper size clutch head drivers and use a penetrating oil, like Kroil. Also, be sure to take a sharp tool, like an awl or ice pick, to clean out the old rust and crud from the head. The sides are straight and if you clean them out the driver will remain in place and you can place maximum torque on the hardware. Much better than slotted screw heads or phillips, in my opinion. Some are so rusted that you break the head off. That is not the fault of the design of the hardware, just Old Man Rust winning a skirmish.
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
Impact drivers are your friend in removing clutch head screws. Tighten them just enough to make them move and break the bond.
I used my pneumatic hammer with a clutch head tip welded on. I also added a screwdriver welded to it as a handle to help turn the tip.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
On mine the only springs are in the lock itself and a small one on lock release arm. I found some clutch head bits for a nut driver and ground them flat to keep them sharp. Kroil is the best for sure




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522

.......ORIGINAL QUESTION:

Originally Posted by Bill Trotter
Hey Bolters, anyone have a picture of where and how the return spring goes. Mine were both missing. Thanks Bill


Bill, sorry I can't get to mine right now. If you don't get an answer pretty soon let me know and I'll go pull mine..

Last edited by Achipmunk; 01/27/2020 1:23 PM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Bill,
The only spring I am aware of is internal in the door latch. What spring are you asking about?

Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
The handle return spring that keeps the handle level. I found nothing on mine when they were disassemble. I do have new springs but no way of knowing how the mount.


1937 GC
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Bill,
There are no externally visible springs on the door mechanism. The spring that returns the latch and holds the handle level are internal to the latch box. So you are saying you have disassembled the latch itself and there is no spring?

Fortunately, both my latches function normally, so I have never taken the latch box itself apart. Thus, I can't help you with your question.

Kent

Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; 01/27/2020 3:35 PM.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
Thanks Kent, I have not taken the box apart so I guess that's why I seen no return spring. Bill


1937 GC
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
Hey, kinda good news!! Found pictures of door latch on Jim Carter site to repair sagging door handles on 39 to 46 trucks. Hope my 37 is the same or close and can get repaired. Will be taking pictures of mine in near future if any one is interested
Thanks to all for your help. Bill


1937 GC
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Bill
I haven’t taken my ‘37 door locks off, so can’t offer any specific help with your questions. However, I have done so with my ‘46 and replaced the springs.

Here is a photo of the door lock on my ‘46 Chevy 1/2, after replacement of the “anti-droop” spring. It appears from the 1929-1946 Master Parts Catalog the locks are different between the two. The spring shown was sold by Jim Carters.

FWIW, the handles droop on my ‘37 as well. I don’t know if that is typical or not.

[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...DEE0123-1F80-454E-9BF6-F691BF4F637A.jpeg[/img]

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 298
Sparky, thanks for the.pics. Hope to get it looked at in the next few days. Setting up a 1927 metal lathe in my garage with overhead line shaft. Bill


1937 GC

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0