The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Napco Man, Gray_Ghost, Phak1, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,242
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1341107 01/08/2020 10:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Went into my local O’Reilys to purchase a qt of brake fluid. The entire selection was synthetic! What are you guys using in your older vehicles? I was able to get non-synthetic 2 years ago to do my ‘62 C-10.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Been using the DOT 4 for some time. Never a problem. Its still stocked on the shelves around here.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
i'm not sure what is meant by "synthetic" vs non with regards to brake fluid
however when it comes to substituting with modern products this is the rule

Dot 3, 4 or 5.1 brake fluid are all compatible and can be mixed to any ratio.
You will simply end up with a mix that is part way between the specifications of the two fluids.
example 1, vehicle states to use DOT 3, use any of the above, or a mix.
example 2, vehicle states to use DOT 4, use DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 or any mix thereof.

DOT 5 is silicone based, it CANNOT be mixed with the above, must use only DOT 5 for replacement fluid.
example 3, vehicle states to use DOT 5, only silicone type maybe used

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 354
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 354
I worked in a plant that made brake fluid in the mid 70's. All brake fluid on the market at that time was synthetic, some was labeled synthetic some was not. My preference is DOT 4 fluids that are labeled "low moisture activity" or something similar. Those have an additive that essentially neutralizes small amounts of moisture.


Harold Wilson
41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I had to go out to my shop to see what I use. Valvoline synthetic 3,4


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Thanks


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Interesting subject. I was looking for some brake fluid to put into my vehicles and I hope it was not DOT 5!


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,362
Rusty, all the dot5 I've seen is purple to help avoid mistakenly adding it to anything else.


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
Been using the DOT 4 for some time. Never a problem. Its still stocked on the shelves around here.

Been using DOT 4 forever too. Was sold on the fact that it has a higher boiling point and just better than lower numbered DOTs ; )



1954 3600

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0