The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Steelonsteel, Hotrod Lincoln), 136 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,261
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#133340 11/20/2005 11:43 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 47
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 47
I have a 50 1/2 ton chevy pickup with GM front disk brakes and a saginaw 4 speed. There looks like a clearence problem for a power booster that is positioned behind the master cylinder. Any suggestions on alternatives?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
I took the easy way out and bought the under floor unit from Chevy Duty.A little bit pricey,but a very easy install.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
I didn't think you could use a power booster in that location with a manual transmision???


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
Use a Hydroboost, as long as you have a power steering pump.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
I do not have a power steering pump, but does anyone know for sure whether you can use an under floor brake booster kit with a manual transmission?


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I did but it's in my 1 1/2 ton truck. It's a booster and master from a 70 C10 and a homemade bracket to mount it to the frame. It fits under the floor even with the dual exhaust,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Dont know for sure about the manual trans.Why dont you check with Chevy Duty?

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
They do make 7 inch diameter dual diaphram power boosters. It may fit your application.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Why does it matter if it's a manual trans. or not? Mine even has a PTO on it and has plenty of room for a full size booster and a dual res. master,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
V
Member
Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 247
The three speed on the column or a car 4-speed has shifter rods and a clutch z-bar intruding into the space next to the transmission - that is most likely why the space is tight.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
That's the area where my PTO and left side exhaust pipe reside with no interference problems. Actually, I just took the booster/master down erlier this summer without even taking down the pipe.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 158
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 158
Consider running a Manual master cylinder?
Lots of GM vehicles came with non-power disc brakes.
I inquired here on the 'bolt and heard from several people who run that way, and stop just fine.

I'm planning to go that route, but will be a while before I'm back on the road....

Cheers,
mark.
'51 KY 3100

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
I did what dale937 did but waited till they went on sale. It all fits nicely under the floor. I have a T5 tranny sitting right next to it coming off a 292 & bellhousing. This done in a 51 3100. The clutch linkage is the tuff part right now but we'll figured that out. But yes a T5 and a power booster fit and the new electronic speedo drive fits also.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
Hey Coupe, I spoke w/CCP when Ipurchased my under the floor unit and was told that the power booster (mini or whatever) will not work because of the spacing problem with the floor clutch pedal. They gave me 2 ways to go 1 which I chose , keep my original pedal and just install the dual cylinder with disk brake on front rear drums and lot better brakes than original! duh... or 2 put ir on the firewall.a no brainer for me. also dont forget your 2# and 10# valves if u decide to go that way.Look here. www.classicperform.com Good luck. Mike

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
UPDATE:
The set up is:
installed in a 1951 3100, a 292, a T5, a cast iron bellhousing and stock truck straight clutch fork (for that 292 motor) and a new under floor mounted power master cylinder.
the problem:
The straight clutch fork fouls the master cylinder when it moves back during operation.
The solution:
So far and this may be updated again but...
seems to be the use of an early corvette clutch arm 1956-1962. This vette arm after it comes out of the rubber boot bends forward quit a bit and has a hole for a clevis or heim joynt fitting (for adjustment) and should clear the new power master cylinder. Later camaro, el caminos and chevelle fork arms are too wide to fit the slot in the cast iron bellhousing, do not bend forward enough and must be modified for adjustment cause they are hydraulic model arms w/ a dimple @ the end location. Too much work to redo/modify those arms. I had to made a special double heim joynt clutch adjuster.
I hope this helps you gentlemen who tackle this arrangement.
More later after the tranny is pulled and the set up completed to see if what I said I works.
I can reach the brake fluid resivoir from the square cab floor panel as I welded up the stock brake filler hole.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 82
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 82
verrry interesting discussion. I've got a 327 with m21 4 speed in my '49 1/2 ton with power brake master cylinder and booster under the floor. Got the braket kit from R.B's and it works great. The only interferance is where the speedo cable hooks to the trans. The cable is too close to the booster and rubs on it. An adapter cured that problem.


1949 chev 3100 3 window. 350hp/327/m21 4 spd, 12 bolt rear, power brakes, 3" dropped axle from Sid's. Disc brakes next.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I have a bellhousing and clutch fork in my 64 that originally came from a 78 3/4 ton. It has a fork that has two usable spots to insert the clutch rod coming from the bellcrank. Could that be of use to make clearance? Use the inner most slot for your linkage and cut the excess off. I'm using the inner on my truck anyway because I like the pedal travel in that position better. Just a thought for future mod's,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4
Try calling The Right Stuff in Sunbury Oh. They might make an offset master cylinder bracket. 1/800-405-2000


With Christ all things are possible
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
Here's an alternate solution for the t-5/SM clutch arm fouling the mastercylinder:

How 'bout a hydraulic throw out bearing and 3/4" master cylinder for it?

I've got the CPP booster/bracket/master kit and am mounting the clutch master cylinder so that the resevoir lines up with the original brake master cylinder inspection hole.

The master cylinder is a Wilwood and the Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing (TOB) is made by Howe Racing and bought from speedway.

When I put in the CPP bracket I had to space it out from the original mount. Instead of using washers I'm using a piece of steel and welding the clutch master cylinder mount bracket to it. Will post some pictures after new years.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0