Hello Everyone I am new to the post and new to restoring so looking forward to all the help. I have a 1955 GMC series 1 deluxe 5 window that is pretty much all original except it was converted to 12 volt before I purchased it in 1982. It is my first truck and I drove it couple of years in high school and parked it 1985 when I went into the service. Life took over and it stayed in the field until last month when I picked it up and trailered it down to Texas. I know shame on me, but hey it is spilled milk so I will have to just deal with it. It was running, but had a miss so will want to rebuild the motor, it is a numbers matching 248 connected to a hydramatic 100 trany and a torque tube rear end. The u joints made a lot of noise when I would let off the gas so I know that they need attention. I have lots of questions on the best way to get started etc, but I would like to know if it is worth rebuilding the torque tube and rear end. I would like to change the ring and pinion for drivability which I have seen in the post but haven't found any information on rebuilding the torque tube. The hydramatic was working fine when I was driving it but that was 34 years ago. I have no problem rebuilding the motor, but should I attempt the trany? Is it worth saving any of it or should I change out the trany and rear end for an open drive line? I know that I have written a book here sorry if that is not cool but wanted to get this started. I like doing a lot of research before I start a project so that I have a plan to follow. Thanks in advance for your help.
1954 GMC Series 1 102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed 248 to a Hydramatic
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure!
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Welcome aboard! Good story and good project. 1955 a good year for vehicles. Good Luck. Keep the questions coming...there is a boat load of expertise affiliated with this site.
Welcome to Stovebolt.com You might want to also check out oldGMCtrucks.com That year GMC engine and dash/gauges are different from a Chevrolet truck. Brakes and most front end parts would most likely be the same.
You might as well drain the transmission and put in the correct fluid. I do not recall if there is a transmission filter (members here should know). That is a complicated transmission, if it needs repair. The good news is that it is a good/strong transmission - it might need repairs.
Look here in the Tech Tips for advice on checking out a new truck.
In the Tech Tips, look at the 3.55 Ring & Pinion conversion (for a 3.55 ratio, instead of the 3.90 ratio). You would need to obtain a 1948-1953 ring-gear carrier (GMC or Chevrolet 1/2 ton).
Last edited by tclederman; 10/24/201910:34 PM. Reason: added link to manual
Note: you have a nice looking truck, especially compared to what a lot of us here started with. Tons of knowledge here on the Bolt so don't be bashful......BUT, to get answers to your questions it is best to ask them in the garage forums for best results. Pick the forum your question is best suited for......like torque tube questions in the Driveline Forum.
Good luck, and remember, we're here to help. Also, there are lots of members here that belong to the "Texas Connection" so watch for them....you may have a bolter next door!!!
Welcome to the 'bolt. Thats a neat looking truck you have. Please ask your questions in the applicable forums, as that is where you will get the best and fastest answers.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Welcome msmalley. Nice solid truck. Glad to see I'm not the only one who took a 30 year break
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Welcome msmalley. What a nice truck. I'm looking forward to following your build. Just curious, where did you trailer it down from?
John
Hello John, I brought it down from South Dakota, it was purchased in Mitchel SD and spent most of its life in Rapid City sadly a lot of that was in a field.
1954 GMC Series 1 102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed 248 to a Hydramatic
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and advice thus far I really appreciate it. I am relieved that there are so many out there willing to help, I have posted the same message on other boards and have not received any feed back. I thought that I would receive an email when there was a reply to my post but I haven't received any. I will check my settings. I will also post my technical questions in the correct forums. Really looking forward to kicking this off.
1954 GMC Series 1 102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed 248 to a Hydramatic
Welcome to Stovebolt.com You might want to also check out oldGMCtrucks.com That year GMC engine and dash/gauges are different from a Chevrolet truck. Brakes and most front end parts would most likely be the same.
You might as well drain the transmission and put in the correct fluid. I do not recall if there is a transmission filter (members here should know). That is a complicated transmission, if it needs repair. The good news is that it is a good/strong transmission - it might need repairs.
Look here in the Tech Tips for advice on checking out a new truck.
In the Tech Tips, look at the 3.55 Ring & Pinion conversion (for a 3.55 ratio, instead of the 3.90 ratio). You would need to obtain a 1948-1953 ring-gear carrier (GMC or Chevrolet 1/2 ton).
Tim,
Thank you very much for all of the advice. Yes this is a 100 Series 1/2 ton, and I will check on the manuals. I have visited the OldGMCTrucks site, it was actually the first site I found in my search. I tried to join but I never received a confirmation email from them so I think that the site isn't active. I have gone thru the site and downloaded all the information that I thought was relevant to my truck. I am surprised at the lack of information available for older GMC's on the web. I will repost my drive train questions on the correct forum, but it sounds like it would be worth sticking with the original kit. I just didn't want to go through all of the time and work to keep it if it wasn't going to add any value.
1954 GMC Series 1 102-24 Series 1/2 Ton Long Bed 248 to a Hydramatic
Welcome , MS , and what a beautiful truck! Sounds like you’re settled down there in Katy. I’m an old Texan myself, though long ago. That deluxe model, with hydramatic, is to me , worth keeping original. What a pleasure to drive . This must have been the very last GMC new design bodies! I feel the one piece windshield in the old body style in the 54 55 trucks was already a customized look. A rare and original, keep it, enjoy it!
~Charley 1954 Chevy 3100 with 235 “Bud” Follow along in the DITY 1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230 1954 GMC 3 ton 302 And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996