The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1319517 07/28/2019 2:55 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Been noticing a gas smell in my 37 and looked at the cap and noticed the seal needs replaced so would a O ring work.

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
I think that it would, I am a retired firefighter and I had some extra 1 1/2 hose coupling gaskets and they work like a charm. Stop by a fire station and see if you could trade a pizza for some gaskets.


1936 GMC T-14 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
Make sure the vent is not plugged up. I ran a piece of heavy duty monofilament up the vent tube.


Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
I improved the "gas smell" by extending the vent tube slightly out the bottom of the gas tank. This puts the bottom of the vent below the cab sheet metal. First I took a bronze firearm bore brush to clean the inside of the vent tube at the bottom. Then I took a one inch length of 1/4 inch brake line, beveled one end slightly and epoxied it into the vent.

I had disassembled the vent apparatus and studied the design. There is no way that the cork ring is going to seal the vent holes completely in the event of gas sloshing up against the holes. So it is inevitable that gas will drip from the vent and when you are driving fumes are going to blow into the cab environs. This must be why GM abandoned the design after one year and in 1938 returned to the gas filler outside of the cab.


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I have found good quality replacement gas cap gaskets for various applications (measure and compare) here
https://realgaskets.com/product-category/fuel-caps/


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Found a box of big O rings in the garage and found one that fit,it looks like I will need a 2 1/ ID/2 5/8 OD gasket.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0