I would like to see some suggestions for placing radio speakers in my restored 1958 Apache. The dash is finished. There was never a hole or slits in the dash, so a speaker in the dash is not an option. Not crazy about putting a single speaker above the rear view mirror. Also, not going to cut up the kick panels and install speakers.
Therefore, I am asking for ideas and would like to see some pictures of where you have installed speakers in your truck.
From an Internet search: "The original speaker was in a metal box just above the windshield." Maybe someone can show what the original speaker looks/looked like?
Thanks for the input. I have seen these kick panels, but decided not to go that route. Going to visit an auto stereo business this week and discuss the situation with them. Considering a speaker box (small) placed behind the seat on both sides of the cab or under the dash on both sides of the cab. Might be an experiment in progress.
Your ideas look/sound good. Let us know know what you do, and please post a few photos.
By the way, it would be nice to meet each other - if you ever see a show/meet between us, please let me know (maybe in Greenville, Wilson, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro?).
this is what it looks/looked like. of course back in the day it was a single speaker. in the aftermarket you can now get a pair of small speakers that fit in the same housing. they don't sound very good however...
Speaker boxes set at a 45 degree angle in the cab corners on either side of the rear window work pretty well. I've made them from sheet metal or plywood at various times. Cover them with upholstery material that matches the seat. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
You can also put a couple under the dash...level with the bottom of the dash actually and pointing down at the floor. Then you can put two more behind the seat near the floor pointing upward.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Would appreciate it if any of you, (John G, Hotrod Lincoln or Mike B) would post a picture of what your speaker installs look like. I'm pretty annal about installing these speakers.
if the truck doesn't already have the hole in the roof for the original speaker, i would not recommend cutting it up to install the poor quality original-look speaker. a pair of 3" speakers can't really be made to sound good, especially for bass. My replacement cab came with the hole so I was forced to put a speaker there.
I have not found anything yet, but churning over some ideas. No, my truck has no factory provisions for radio speakers although the dash was pre-formed for a radio to fit in there, just no provision for a speaker(s). We will not be cutting any new holes anywhere. Don't believe putting anything behind the seat is an option as the gas tank is there. Also don't want to 'hang' speakers in the cab corners behind the seat. Looking like the best option is to mount them under the dash and hope for the best.
My 58 Apache 32 came to me with the single speaker mounted to the bottom edge of the dash, just below the radio. If you changed your mind and removed it, I don't believe there'd be any noticeable remnants at that location.
Glad to meet you and thanks for your input. I am seriously considering installing two speakers under the dash and hopefully so they are not to visible. That looks to be my only option without cutting holes in something and I don't want to do that.
one more thing i want to add: unless you used a lot of Dynamat (or equivalent) in the cab - driving a task force pickup is like sitting in a big metal drum. add in the stovebolt 6 thrashing away - ya can't hear music anyway when driving down the road! So - in my opinion - put your speakers wherever they'll fit w/o doing irreversible damage to your cab
I used a RV outdoor speaker because it was the only speaker I could find that was shallow enough to fit inside the speaker box. I have an extra one if you are interested?
I'm pretty happy with 6X9's fastened to a 1/2" plywood face that has a new shop towel painted black over the hole and mounted low as possible in each cab corner behind the seat. Two 4" speakers under the dash at each corner finish the low tech/low cost system. Sounds acceptable and for all practical purposes it's out of sight.
I've seen some deals where people build a panel that go around the vent opening, put speakers down there, next to the vent opening... using fiberboard, fiberglass... the cover with interior matching material.
The PO cut holes in the doors of my truck. I said to myself shortly after buying the truck "Next project is to put new interior panels on the doors" That was probably 25 years ago. Still have the replacement panels in my shop. Maybe I should sell them. Decided later to just use them holes with new speakers. Love the music.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.