The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,318
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
T
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
Does anyone know what specs (the max they can be turned) for the brake drums for a 1951 Chevy 1 Ton Panel? ... thanks...joe

Last edited by TooMany2count; 05/22/2019 7:17 PM.

~ Joe
Donate Blood, Plasma, Platelets and Sign Your DONORS CARD. The Life You SAVE Might Be Someone You Know and LOVE.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy TooMany2count. without actually looking up the specifications I would say .060", hope that helps.

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
T
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by 3B
Hy TooMany2count. without actually looking up the specifications I would say .060", hope that helps.


Thanks, but I need the total inside diameter so I when I use a brake drum gauge,I know if the drums are good or not....joe

Last edited by TooMany2count; 05/24/2019 6:38 AM.

~ Joe
Donate Blood, Plasma, Platelets and Sign Your DONORS CARD. The Life You SAVE Might Be Someone You Know and LOVE.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy again TooMany2count, according to my truck salesman's data book your truck should have 12" front brakes and 14" rear brakes, the maximum diameter on your gauge for the front brakes would be 12.060 and the maximum diameter on your gauge for the rear brakes should be 14.060. The rear brakes may be able to be turned out to 14.090 but I will keep looking for the specification to be sure, hope that helps.

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
T
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
Thanks & yes that helps a lot, it'll give me some idea if they are worth saving or if they become scrap....joe


~ Joe
Donate Blood, Plasma, Platelets and Sign Your DONORS CARD. The Life You SAVE Might Be Someone You Know and LOVE.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have found very little mention of this limit in the shop manuals. The Chev manual mentions turning the drum out to 60 and installing the stock oversize shoes. There is mention in one of the GMC manuals of .125" as the limit. I would guess that most shops would automatically say .060". By the way you can't buy these drums new and they are very hard to find used or NOS .


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
T
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
I have more zippers then a pair of cargo pants
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 217
Tim thanks for the info & the link....joe

Last edited by TooMany2count; 05/30/2019 6:43 AM.

~ Joe
Donate Blood, Plasma, Platelets and Sign Your DONORS CARD. The Life You SAVE Might Be Someone You Know and LOVE.
Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
Joe, Eli and I are working on his truck. Should have a spare set of rears coming up this summer. No idea if they are turnable or not but can check my friendly neighborhood mechanic once we get them off.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0