The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (WICruiser, baldeagle, Peggy M), 214 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 48
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 48
Good evening Big Bolters . . .

I need to replace the rubber seal at the floor (bottom of steering shaft) and there is not enough clearance between the dash and the steering shaft to slide it down. I had cut the old deteriorated one off some time ago while working on the floor pan. I have just been reading older threads (most were about removing the column) without really finding anything regarding just the seal replacement. Do I need to loosen the steering gear box, will that allow me to rotate the shaft a 1/4" or so? Am I overlooking something simple . . . not that anything is ever simple!

Guess I should mention that I'm working on a '51 2 ton.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dennis in Austin


Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Dennis, I'm not sure that it is relative to 51' , 2 Ton, but on my 54" 3600, I had to remove the side bolts and loosen both top bolts, the front one a lot, to tilt the steering column down so I could replace the foam and the seal. I had rebuilt the steering box and reattached it to the frame and the pitman arm just to later find out I couldn't get the seal on. Hope that helps.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 48
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 48
THANKS Ronnie . . . hopefully we will get a pretty weekend and I can look into your idea. I kinda thought that would be the only way to git-er-done! Appreciate your taking time to answer!

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Your welcome, hope it goes smoothly........just more info - the "front" bolt is underneath and on inside/top of the frame. I discovered that the hard way. Here are Pics that may be helpful for planning purposes. Bolts . nuts are 3/4 socket/wrench.
Attachments
Strg 1.JPG (51.04 KB, 53 downloads)
Strg 2.JPG (31.69 KB, 53 downloads)


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 48
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 48
THANKS . . good info and really nice photos!! I certainly appreciate your time and efforts in getting "down under" for the great pics.

Looks like a nicely painted block and a really clean undercarriage that you've got there. Until now I thought mine was pretty clean . . . . hmmm. Always some more work to do!!

Thanks again Ronnie!

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
51 2 Ton,
I'm still in resto mode so the pics were easy to get. I've had a bit of learning along the way and the guys and gals on Stovebolt have really helped a bunch so when I can contribute, I try to pay it forward. Enjoy your truck, bringing an old truck back to life is an addictive adventure.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0