Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
206
guests, and
5
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,441 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 305 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 305 | i have a 42 chevy i would like to make a daily driver out of it but at same time make it modern with disk all around and a 350 motor.with early 90s pickup 5 speed in it do i have to chang the front clip to do disk.
ya I know a few rednecks.Thay all drive chevys to, Proud member of the Old Dominion Stovebolt Society AND A MARINE trucks range from 1942 1/2 ton to 1965 fire engine
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | No.
You can put disk brakes on the existing front axle. I've got disk brakes on the front of my truck with the original straight axle.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | Just my opinion,I am sure someone will say I am wrong.Sub frame it or put an M2 frontend in it.It will drive and handle 100% better than with the stock suspension. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I've got a Mustang II front end on mine ... a dual master brake cylinder with disc brakes up front and drums in the rear. No complaints -- it drives and handles beautifully and stops real nice.
Note: I don't know how high your brake pedal comes up out of the floor, but mine was REALLY high ... I cut 3 inches off it and it was so much easier to brake I couldn't believe it!!! Removing 3 inches gave better leverage when stepping on the pedal.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 154 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 154 | Yeah I cut 2 1/2" off mine and welded the pedal back on offset to the left an inch. Still was having problems finding a seat that felt comfortable getting from the throttle to the brake. So-o-o-o bit the bullet, threw some more money at it and put in a Roddoors seat and interior. Gray tweed, looks and feels nice, now for a carpet? Zeke
The Amish Connection 51 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window,Vortec hotrod, no horse
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | Ditto on shortening up the brake pedal shaft.I had to cut mine,but I cant remember how much I cut out. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | You can put disc brakes on the back if you change out the rear axle to one that was disc-brake equipped. But then get the master cylinder for it too and convert it to power brakes.
A lot of modern trucks use rear drums and front disc. Nothing wrong with that set up.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 124 Member | | Member Joined: May 2004 Posts: 124 | O K I am old. I dont have any argument with any of the above but if you want a late model truck why not just buy one? The old shoe brakes will stop just fine if they are in good condition. I have seen them lock all four wheels in a panic situation. Not trying to start an argument. Just my opinion. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.
I like old trucks
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | Quote: "O K I am old. I dont have any argument with any of the above but if you want a late model truck why not just buy one? The old shoe brakes will stop just fine if they are in good condition. I have seen them lock all four wheels in a panic situation. Not trying to start an argument. Just my opinion. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one."
...Beeeecause modern trucks don't look like stovebolts. With the possible exception of the SSR and I'm not sure that really IS a truck.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 328 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 328 | THAT'S A TRUCK!?!???
hahaha | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,225 | Before planning the drivetrain out, you need to work on the seat and pedal situation. My '37 is about the same as your '42 as far as cab size goes. I am only 5'11" and find the seating very tight. I used the original seat. The very upright position gets pretty hard on your back after a little while of driving. You really need the seat to recline a bit, so finding one that looks good and fits is a tough job. I had four or five different bucket seats, trying to get one that felt good. I finally gave up and went original.
My truck is not 100% original, it has disk brakes on the straight axle with original reproduction springs front and rear and a late model rear axle. The engine is a 250 ci with a turbo 350 automatic transmission. I can cruse all day 65 to 70 mph and still get 19 mpg. Wind is a big problem at speed due to the high center of gravity and design of the truck. You will get tired of fighting it. Braking is also a problem. I have a valve on the rear to limit the quick lock up the tires, again due to the weight of the truck and the design of the springs. I fear a high speed stop, say from 70 mph. At, in town speed, no problem, stops straight and quick. My truck weighs in at 3300 lbs with me in it and 18 gallons of fuel. Its split almost 50/50 front and rear with 1680 front and 1620 rear. I did not lower the springs or drop the axles. I did remove a few leafs and add teflon liners to soften the ride which may have hurt the handeling somewhat. Its a trade off you have to make if you want a decent ride. With new stock springs, you better have a tight seat belt on, because you are going to get bounced around!
Replacement parts are a consideration to. I planned my drivetrain around a 1973 Camero. The engine, transmission, rear axle, and all of the brake componets are all from the same car. I can get parts from any store in any town no matter where I am. There is not a part on the truck, other than the radiator, that will strand me on the side of the road for very long!
Do I drive my everyday, No! I can't afford the insurace for a everyday truck, even if I could I wouldn't. I like the special weekend drives. To drive it everyday would make just another truck on the road. Joe | | |
| |