Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (klhansen, rfs56trk, Bill Hanlon, 1955 1 Series, DHedrick, Otto Skorzeny, 39Master85, greenie-reddy, Peggy M),
136
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,399 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 78 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 78 | Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand wiring harness to buy? I'm ready to install a 12 volt conversion on my 1953 1/2 ton. I'm looking for something with very good and easy instructions since I have never done this before. That is more important than the price. I am looking at Painless, American Autowire, and others but not sure which one has the best quality and ease of installation. I realize those may not go hand in hand. Thanks for your help.
1953 3100 Chevy 5 window 1971 Chevelle SS
| | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | Painless gets my vote. Good quality, easy to follow instructions, and great customer service guys when you get stuck on something. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 58 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 58 | I agree. Painless. There are others though. You can get a good price through Summit Racing. I'm putting a Painless harness in my 54 in about four months from now. The kit is Part Number 10104 and is a 12 Circuit Pickup Harness with a non GM Keyed Column. If you are going totally stock check with Summit and they will tell you if another harness will be more fitting for you. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I used Hot Rod Wires 12 circuit harness in my '56 and I bought another to put in my '54 pickup. A lot cheaper than Painless and bigger wires where it counts. Very good instructions. I bought a Painless harness from a guy who had given up on his project. I considered using it on my pickup but after looking it over, I sold it at a swap meet and bought another Hot Rod Wires Harness. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | i used "Ron Francis wiring"...great kit and super customer support | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | I purchased a 8 circuit generic kit from Rebel Wire. It is marked every 6" which should make easier to install. No I haven't installed yet. Glenn, the owner, was very customer friendly and gives a discount to Bolters. Have fun and good luck Dan | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 78 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 78 | Thanks guys, I'll check them out.
1953 3100 Chevy 5 window 1971 Chevelle SS
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 126 | I just bought one of these form EZ Wire at a swapmeet for $160. I also havn't put it in yet, but it looks to be well made and has a nice fat instruction manual and adapters for various fittings etc. By far one of teh cheapest ones I found, but seems to be well made. http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.htmlTheres a tech article by a guy that put one in his truck here: http://alanhorvath.com/54chevy/ezwire_day1.phpThis article is agreat step by step and actually gave me teh nerve to do this myself.... Hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | Keep an eye on E Bay for a name brand kit - can usually save some decent $$ there. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | Hey guys, you need to at least check out the 'Black Box' panel from Enos Custom Components, first cabin quality and only $150. I got to know these guys from our big Jan. swap meet some years ago. What really impressed me is that they custom design each panel/kit to the customer's vehicle. They had me fill out this complete questionare about my car, then the system arrived with pages of drawings and instructions just for my installation. Also they keep a file of their panels and customers so when you call with a question they can pull up your file and know exactly what's involved with your system. Check them out. http://www.enoscustom.com/blackbox.html | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 104 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 104 | I used a Ron Francis Kit. It couldn't have been easier, with very good instructions and a super tech support if there are problems. By the way, I had never done any wiring before and everything works! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 5 | Has anyone tried a harness from kwikwire? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Please Start a new post and ask about harnesses. This old post may not be viable.
Last edited by Rusty Rod; 02/24/2019 10:01 PM.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | |
| |