I've got a new radiator and need to plug the holes for the automatic trans lines in the bottom of the radiator. I'n mot sure what to use to plug these. A NPT pipe plug starts to go in, but I don't want to force anything. I think it might be a flare fitting? I dunno.
Hy Just Mark, The photo seems to show an inverted flare fitting, could be 1/4" or larger, it might be a bit of a search to find an inverted flare plug. First you will have to establish what size tubing and nut fits that hole, inverted flare is the fitting used on the fuel system on our trucks, hope that helps.
Most of those come with a little plastic plug and that's all you need. As Joe said, nothing will leak out. If it did, water would be circulating in your auto trans and that would be a monumental problem.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Just Mark, the transmission cooler on the bottom of your radiator does not have coolant flowing through it. You can safely leave it open.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Just leave them open- - - -the mud wasps will plug them up in a matter of weeks- - - - -maybe even days! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
We are 'gonna have to wait for spring next year for the insects, it's cold now in this neck of the woods. If it were mine I would plug them with the correct inverted flare plug. I can't remember if you have a NAPA store in Durand but you should have no trouble finding the right size.
Last edited by 78buckshot; 12/16/20181:01 PM.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
You could cut a piece of Aluminum Foil tape (the kind used on AC ducts) to cover the hols. It will last as long as your radiator and can be painted (if you paint the radiator). You can get it at any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart. Harold
That aluminum foil tape roll makes for an awesome cup holder. Way cooler than a roll of plain old duct tape. You will have plenty of the roll left after you tape your holes up.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
I got mine at the local O'Reilly's. I hope to install the new radiator (and trans cooler plugs) this spring. I did a quick test fit and the plugs seem to fit, but I did notice that they are 131-5, not 131-6. I'm hoping that since they are just there to keep dirt out, they'll still work.
The -5 or -6 number indicates tubing outside diameter in 16th's. of an inch. Since most cooler lines are 5/16" diameter, the -5 plug is probably the correct one. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
And I was thinking most were 3/8", thus the -6 part number earlier. Might be a little truck/car difference and I'm more familiar with full size stuff. So long as it fits well you have the right plug..