| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (mick53, Peggy M, Southerntruck, Gdads51, LAROKE, NJC, 68ironhead, dt235sd, GMCJammer51),
158
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,091 Posts1,056,393 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 90 | Hello everyone, I could not find in the search anything related to this. I have the 261 engine and had been firing up no problem for over a year. The last time I started it after I had made some adjustments it was great. The next day I go to start it and the key was left on, and now it will not fire, just turns over?! Any help would be great as I do not want to waste a lot of time trying to figure this out. There is plenty of gas in the tank and when turning over you can smell the fuel. I tried started with and without the choke possibly thinking it was flooding but to no avail. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 | You may have burned your points. Check/replace those first and then see if it will start. Kent | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | If the engine stopped with the points closed and the ignition was left on, they're toast. Pop the distributor cap off and examine the points- - - - -I'll wager you're going to find them black and rough, unable to flow enough current to make the coil operate. You might get by temporarily by filing or sanding them, but that's only going to be a temporary fix for troubleshooting purposes. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 90 | Great, I will check those! Thank you Kent! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 90 | Ok, hopefully not but will definitely check there. Thank you Jerry! | | | | | Joined: May 2017 Posts: 100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2017 Posts: 100 | Either the points or the coil, I did this once turned out to be both. Coil was hot to touch,points burnt black and welded together.
!956 Gmc Napco 4x4 Factory line built .
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 2,234 Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part | | Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 2,234 | I agree with coil and points! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I did that once with Petronics ign. Blew the coil wide open. Lucky didn't start a fire. Oil was all over.
George They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |
| |