The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (mick53, 55shaker, SmalltownTRKGuy, Danielbolt, Gdads51, Charles in CA, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,455
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1282672 10/06/2018 1:40 AM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** Am having trouble getting a recently rebuilt 261 started. {First Start} - Valve lash set to specs - timing set to specs - all six spark plugs have good spark - known good carb installed but engine will not start. Not as much as a pop with above settings. If I retard the distributer {counter clockwise} as far as it will turn the engine acts like it wants to start but won't. Have checked and rechecked all settings but still no start. If anyone has any thoughts that might help all greatly appreciated. Thanks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
You have spark......have you looked down the throat of the carb and verified it is getting gas. I know its an elementary question but just had to ask.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Basics, basics, basics. Make absolutely sure you have the distributor rotor pointing to #1 plug wire when engine is at TDC on the compression stroke.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
How did you determine tdc for no. 1 plug/cylinder when you dropped the distributor in? Run a quick compression check. Just to make sure no issues with the timing gears and intake valves.


Mike

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0