The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (78buckshot), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1273164 07/20/2018 3:58 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 53
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 53
I have a 49 GMC FC101 that I am doing a light hot rod to. SBC, 700r4. It is a frame off. I bought the truck as a "stalled project". It came to me with just the cab temporarily mounted and all other sheet metal loose, no drive train other than the rear axle which came from a mid 80's Blazer. My question is, it has an 8 leaf spring arrangement which I suspect is going to be very stiff. I am contemplating taking out every other leaf to soften the ride and if it lowers it a bit that's OK too.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on shock choice and attachment would be nice also.

Tom

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
Yes, it is going to ride rough with the springs you have. If you remove spring leaves, keep the 2 top ( longest ) and remove every other one below them. DO NOT use any leaf that is badly worn or looks like it may be cracked. Do a complete tear down, clean up, and inspection. Add teflon buttons or liner between each leaf.
Be aware, your load capacity will be greatly reduced. Shock type is going to be something you have to work out once you get farther along. A simple crossmember across the frame rails and modern shock mounts under the leaf spring pads is easy enough to do. Mount the shocks with 2/3 of the travel for compression and 1/3 of the travel for extension. Look here for shock sizes, http://www.monroe.com/downloads/install-instructions-guides/MonroeMountingLengthSpecifications.pdf Try not to get some odd ball shock like I did, I managed to pick a Ford Pinto rear shock to use on the front of mine.


I ran mine for years this way with decent results, but I was always worried about the fronts being old and only having four leafs, so I bit the bullet and ordered four new custom built springs from Detroit Spring Co. It was expensive, but worth it in the end for piece of mind and the ride. I am now back to 7 per side front, 8 per side rear at a much lower spring rate.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0