The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Barry Martak, Otto Skorzeny, Hawkman, stlcardinalsguy, MickeyP, Oswald), 113 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,414
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
So I'm prepping backing plates for paint and just basically anything I have apart I'm degreasing. So I have the articulating arms degreased on my front brakes 51 3600 but was wondering if you just clean the rust up and leave them as they are ? You dont paint the arms do you? Thanks in advance

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Please use a better description for "articulating arms". Read this and let us know what part you are talking about. Go to INDEX/general description.

The wheel cylinder has a dowel shaped "arm" sticking out each end. Pushes against shoes. If this is what you mean, no.......not painted. The old manual calls them connecting links.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
Yes sorry. I thought it said arms but yes they called them articulating links. Thanks

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
Yes I read that and I'm not painting them thanks. Guess i looked at the next page and saw figure 2 as they were describing parts number 7 says articulating link and the next page befor says connecting link. Not hard to confuse myself haha.I'm just a rookie learning appreciate the help

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Actually my fault. I see you have a 3/4 T which probably has Huck brakes in Fig2. The link you asked about is probably different than I thought. So if you mean Fig2, item 7, still don't think I would paint, but optional. Especially in Michigan.
Your terminology was correct. I misled you. Sorry. I looked at Fig1.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Painting the articulating links would be optional. I painted them when I restored my '50 COE but they are no doubt covered in brake dust by now. I will say the truck spent most of its life outside and there was only a bit of surface rust when I intervened. Clean them up and you will be good to go.
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0