The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, jmoore, NorCal52Suburban, Donf), 183 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,208
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1270956 07/02/2018 5:09 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 215
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 215
Hello all, looking for suggestions or information on what everyone is doing to cap their vacuum port on the manifold
I am using a double action fuel pump, so I do not need this for wipers
I would like to still have access to the port for tuning with vacuum gauge
I would think a ball valve and barbed fitting with vinyl cap, but that may look clunky
Attachments


1949 Chevrolet 3100 Suburban Carryall
"Bad Guy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket

1950 Chevrolet 3100 3-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1966 GMC Suburban Carryall Custom
"Big Guy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
What's wrong with what you're doing now? It looks simple and effective.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The double fuel pump is an aux. vacuum source. You still should use the manifold vacuum for wipers.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by Suburban Lou
Hello all, looking for suggestions or information on what everyone is doing to cap their vacuum port on the manifold
I am using a double action fuel pump, so I do not need this for wipers
I would like to still have access to the port for tuning with vacuum gauge
I would think a ball valve and barbed fitting with vinyl cap, but that may look clunky

This may give you an idea...
Attachments
oil lines.JPG (35.34 KB, 131 downloads)


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret.
The double fuel pump is an aux. vacuum source. You still should use the manifold vacuum for wipers.
George
George is describing the GM/factory way. Other plumbing patterns could/should work.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0673.htm

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 215
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 215
Thanks Paul
That’s exactly what I was thinking
Is that ball valve 1/8” npt?


1949 Chevrolet 3100 Suburban Carryall
"Bad Guy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket

1950 Chevrolet 3100 3-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1966 GMC Suburban Carryall Custom
"Big Guy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Originally Posted by Suburban Lou
Thanks Paul
That’s exactly what I was thinking
Is that ball valve 1/8” npt?
Yes it is a 1/8" NPT ball valve that I picked up at my local auto parts place.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The vacuum pump delivers a smaller vacuum than the manifold. It is meant to augment the vacuum when it is low in the manifold. The pump will not deliver a lot of vacuum at low RPMs. At least, that is how GM explains it. I think when I had mine it would deliver about 11" at a higher RPM.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0