The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, Peggy M, Millenimech, NJC), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,321
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
I've been hobby wrenching on cars and trucks on and off for the past 20 years, and I finally got an air compressor. I picked up an old (1963) ~20gal air compressor super cheap. It works great.

What do I need to do for maintenance on this little sucker? I seem to remember people talking about draining them every now and then, and I'm guessing the compressor oil should be changed every now and then.


Liquidated my projects
Now looking for a decent '47-'55.1 3100, 3600, or 3800
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168


Liquidated my projects
Now looking for a decent '47-'55.1 3100, 3600, or 3800
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Drain the water from the tank on a regular basis. Should be a plug or screw tap in the bottom. It wouldn’t hurt to change the oil. May have to suck it out with a turkey baster. Replace the belt. Make sure you have a good inline water filter. I’m sure others will have more.
🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Martin is spot on. Depending on where you live, you may drain the tank once a day or once a week. The more you run it, the more you need to drain it. Moisture in the tank is not your friend!


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
Wow, I've never even heard of an air compressor blowing up before. Surely it's more common for them to develop pin hole leaks than explode


Liquidated my projects
Now looking for a decent '47-'55.1 3100, 3600, or 3800
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
From your photo it looks like that one has some sort of "unloader" that allows the compressor to spin up to speed without fighting the pressure in the tank. Be sure that is working properly and the motor will last a lot longer.

One of the jobs I had shortly after returning from Southeast Asia was filling and testing CO2 cylinders that carried 2,000 PSI . We had our own hydrostatic testing equipment where a cylinder was placed in an armored pit in the ground and tested with pressurized water. I can recall a couple of tank failures that got pretty dramatic. Like the video states, tanks fail from the inside out, so unless they're tested periodically, there's usually no way to spot a potential problem. Any obvious external damage or rust pitting is cause to discard a tank. Be sure to drill several big holes in any tank you discard to be sure nobody else gats tempted to reuse it.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
I live in the pacific northwest where it rains a lot and humidity is high during the winter. I drain the entire system every month, did it yesterday in fact. Each drop on your pipe should have a valve too to evacuate the moisture, hopefully any hard piping has slope on it so it can be drained too. A long time friend had his under the floor of his residence, it had been there for 30 years, the compressor started cycling more frequently, so he went under there to see what was going on. The 30 gallon tank was full of water, he never drained it. Petcock was corroded shut. He got a quick lesson that water weighs 8 pounds per gallon when he hauled it out of the crawlspace. On a good note, since it was full of water, it didnt have much volume of compressed air if it let go. Plumbers fill the waste plumbing with water and use very little air to test because if a pipe let go, compressed air and plastic pipe can be shrapnel city.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
I plumbed a short 3 ft line into a T on the bottom of my 80 gallon tank. I put an air blaster attachment onto the hose. Every time I go into my shop I give it a quick blast and I shoot all the water out my front door.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Valves, Inlet and exhaust need cleaning ever so often. One valve especially gets dirty can't remember.....


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
There are automatic valves that can be plumbed into the drain valve too.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Like Fox, I have a tee in the bottom of my 80 gallon tank and I drain it every time I go into the shop. The drain line is big enough that it will hold all of the water on most occasions without it actually sitting in the bottom of the tank. I also change the oil ever year.
I also use to leave it on automatic a lot until I came home after being gone all day and came home to find the small line to the cut off switch had come loose and the compressor had run for sometime from the "feel" of the air.
Yep, sometime we have to learn our lessons the hard way........now I simply cut it off every time I go out the door. That was about 3 years ago so not much harm must have been done. Its still gittin it today!!

Learn from my mistake!!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
depends on use and geography. I use mine regularly, it stays turned on. I have a drain plumbed out of the bottom and drain at least daily. More often if I'm using it constantly during a day of sandblasting or painting. Can't have any water in the system. Just a open till dry/close. Once a week, I turn the compressor off and completely drain tank and all valves at each drop. I drain and replace oil about every 6 mos. inspect the fan belt monthly. I have a 5hp IR 80 gal compressor. The higher the humidity and use, the more important this practice is. I'm in a high humidity area, so I practice it regularly.


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0