| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,483 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 17 | I have a set of wheels for a different car that I need to sandblast. The lip is chromed and the center is powder coated.
What media can I use to strip both with doing the least amount of pitting to the aluminum? I plan to paint the centers then give the lip a brushed look then clear them. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 | A friend of mine owns a blasting business. He say's nothing will touch the powder coating.  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 17 | Wow, I can't believe that powder coating is that hard.
That Eastwood stuff is really expensive. I would have to probably buy a couple gallons of it to fill something enough to cover the wheel 1/2 way.
Looks like I may not be messing with it then. May just end up living with them through another set of tires then replace them. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | Why not buy a quart, put the wheel in a tub, use a paintbrush to keep the powder coat wet for a few minutes and you're done. I think the stuff just needs to stay wet to work, you don't have to submerge your parts.
You could always ask the powder coating people what they use... I've seen parts coated the wrong color and they were redone.
Lee | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 17 | Lee - I was thinking about that also, but they are 15" wheels. I went to a local media blasting place today and the guy was very informative. Not to mention the DIY shop rates seemed really cheap. If you use one of the cabinets it's $12.50/hr and if you need the blasting booth it's $17.50/hr. If you pay them to do the blasting, it's $45/hr. Anyway, he said you can blast off the powdercoating. It just may take you an hour per wheel to do it depending on the quality of the powder job. If anyone is in SW-MI check out http://www.consolidatedstripping.com/ | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | Just a tip Gents remeber WE use tape to protect an area ya DO NOT WANT TO BLAST , well powder coat is kinda like that the sand will bounce off instead of cutting through it , wich is why it is such a B%&^# to get off , but if you are persistant an spend the time you will burn through it eventually , BEEN THERE DONE THAT..LOL ! | | |
| |
| |