The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 37
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 37
hi, hi have a lot of rust behind my runningboard supports on my '49 and one is totally busted off; should i grind the pop rivets off and clean it up and rebolt it or have a profeesional re pop rivet it. How would i pop rivet it? thanks for any advice, thanks ,mike

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Mike,

I don't think those rivets would be considered 'pop rivets'. Unless you are going for original, I think bolting them back on would be perfectly acceptable. I think those rivets were either hot set rivets or cold set rivets...either one would be tough to find, not to mention the grizzled old ironworker to install them. smile

Stuart

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 89
How is the eaisest way to remove these "rivets"?

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
I think I would grind the head off and use a burp gun to drive them out. They can be stubborn as they sometimes have a 'belly' between mating pieces which makes them tough to drive out.

Stuart

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
After removing a couple dozen off my frame, I think the easiest way to to use a cutting torch to cut the head off flush. Put a punch in a vice grip and pound it. If it's hot, it only takes a hit or two. A grinder works, just takes a lot longer and harder to hit out I have found.

Good Luck.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 113
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 113
1949chev34 - You'd need to hot rivet them to replicate the originals. Easier said than done. I welded nuts to the inside of my frame rails (because I did full length boxing plates).

Remember to buy 1st quality bolts!


Everything is different now...
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
i drilled mine out

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I am sure the cutting torch then punch is the easiest method to remove rivets, however it has been my experience that anytime I pick up my torch and move toward my bolt bad things happen. I always heat things up too much and then have to fix the screw-up.
Grinding the head off may be a little harder but easier on the frame.


~Jim

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0