The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, Barry Martak, 68ironhead, Hotrod Lincoln), 162 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,475
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
I've been trying to get the high idle cable working on my '50 3100 with a 235. I got a repro cable and think it's installed correctly, but it won't stay out when I pull it. The force of the throttle return spring just pulls it back into the dash. Any ideas? I figure I either need a weaker return spring (it seems pretty factory) or maybe the rigid end that goes through the dash can be crimped a little tighter to put more friction on the shaft that the knob attaches to? (Before anyone asks, here's a picture of the carb connection)
Attachments
20180207_123832-1008x756.jpg (112.82 KB, 192 downloads)

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Even though a good idea I don't think I'd go crimping on it.....I vote for a little weaker spring from Ace Hardware.

.....most folks complain about not getting it to even work smoothly!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
I found slight kinks in some of my cables, not in the sheath/ends, in the cable/wire (4-5 inches into the cable/wire) that caused enough friction to hold the cable in-position.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
My aftermarket hand throttle doesn't stay or lock either. I've read where some folks have crimped the sheath tighter but I decided against that route and just made up a lock that will hold the throttle out at the desired fast idle I need. I suspend it down from the choke via a little chain. It's very handy for warming up the 216 when it's cold.

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
I think I might try putting a couple slight bends in the inner cable. Lord knows I've run into that sort of thing when I didn't want added resistance!

Last edited by Zenwren; 02/07/2018 11:35 PM.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
If it was mine I'd fabricate a sleeve with a setscrew in it, sort of like a tiny shaft collar, to tighten over the end of the cable sheath after letting it extend 1/2" or so past the bracket at the carburetor. You can fine-adjust the tension of the sheath against the cable that way.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215


I'm with Alvin on this. You say the spring pulls it back in, not much to lose if you try a weaker spring.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
remind me, why do we need a high idle cable?


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Originally Posted by bartamos
remind me, why do we need a high idle cable?
I used/use it when stopped on a hill, and then starting up the hill.

Left foot on clutch pedal; right foot on brake pedal, hand-action with the throttle.

I never use/used it much for "cruise control" on a flat surface.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Originally Posted by bartamos
remind me, why do we need a high idle cable?
It comes in handy when the ethanol in the gas destroys the diaphragm of the accelerator pump in a Carter 2100YF (every 2 years on average), causing an extreme rich condition which causes a stall at idle speed. Pulling out the throttle cable opens up the throttle plate far enough to allow the extra raw fuel to be vaporized and makes it possible to drive the truck home for repairs.
Another use is when taking off uphill next to a hotrod with mufflers louder than straight pipes which makes it impossible to hear my engine. If I should stall trying to go up the hill, now I need feet to operate the clutch, the brake and the stomp starter. I only came with 2 feet, so pulling the throttle cable out frees up one of them to git-r-done.
It is also good for bumping up the idle for warming the engine up. A cold 216 engine does not move much oil to camshaft/lifters or the cylinders/rings at idle.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
You can carefully work on the cable sheath with linesman pliers to spread the coils apart, giving you a moderate amount of friction. Employ a moderate amount of mash with the pliers. If you need more friction, move the the next coil and give it another mash.
Putting a slight kink it the cable wire will also work fine on a throttle cable without worry.
I would not do that on a loose choke cable since it may fail when you push it back in.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Originally Posted by bartamos
remind me, why do we need a high idle cable?

Very useful if you use the truck on the farm. Also for when using the PTO, if so equipped.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Originally Posted by bartamos
remind me, why do we need a high idle cable?

Out in the field while alone, I set the idle higher than usual so that the truck can drive forward alone, while I'm running along throwing bales of hay into the back. LOL!!


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
Originally Posted by bartamos
remind me, why do we need a high idle cable?

I don't remember the exact wording, but the Owner's Manual indicates that the choke should only be used to initially start the engine. After the engine is started, the throttle is used to supply fast idle to warm the engine as well as even out the idle.


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
As what 52Carl said, to put a small kink in the wire which will rub against the inner wall of the cable housing. Make sure the cable house is very clean and dry inside. Oils can seep inside, lubricating the wire without us knowing it.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 378
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 378
Wish I could join in on this. I've got a new cable but don't have everything to hook it up with. Choke works fine. I'll get the throttle one day.



1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton ~ Red Truck

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0