The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jay R, Ridgeback, Phak1, Ponchogl), 76 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,683
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
My 1952 Carryall has a wonderful patina, and i'm wondering what people think about clear-coat to preserve the finish, as well as to retard corrosion.

Any thoughts or experiences folks want to share?

Best Regards


Lisa

1952 Chevy Carryall in completely original condition
Pulled out of a barn in Colorado high desert
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 338
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Patina took 66 years to get to be patina so don't "F" with it. Clear coating patina is gross and totally destroys the patina affect.
You asked for opinions... so please do not clear it!

What you can do is compound it and wax it every year... that'll preserve it, shine it and will serve to keep it's patina lustre.... just don't clear it! Clear coat wasn't designed to stick to bare metal or unprepared substrate so it will peel and make the entire vehicle look horrible. Don't mess with perfection of 66 years of aging.

Last edited by FootStomper; 01/09/2018 12:42 AM.

~~ Darcy

1959 GMC 9310 Canadian- built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe
FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Project Journals Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Good advice, Darcy

My "good ole boy" response would be rub it with WD-40 once or twice a year.
About as often as you would wax a good paint job.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
I am going to try furniture polish on mine if the weather ever warms up.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
I used a red scotchbrite pad and sprayed 3 coats of satin lacquer on the interior pieces of my 47. Keeps my clothes and hands clean while driving it. As for the exterior, I'm with the other guys here, leave it be. I use Gibbs Brand penetrating oil once a year to preserve it. Spray it down and wait a week then give the truck a bath and off I go.
Another suggestion is to wax it with a good carnuba wax with the surface heated to around 100 degrees. It's supposed to melt the wax into the rust and offer a good layer of protection.

Steve


Steve


1946 1/2 ton
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
GIBBS ALL PURPOSE LUBRICANT is another good choice.

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
tclederman,

That's too funny. That's was what I was going to suggest, WD-40. I learned about this when I was in the Army down in Louisiana. It made oxidized painted surfaces look shiny but a few weeks later they went all flat again. Soldiers came to know that they should smell cars before buying them off post.


"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.

Robert
55.1 GMC 450 COE
51ish GMC Suburban
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
Well, I have to thank you all for your valued opinions- I'm going to try the WD-40 approach or the Gibbs All Purpose Lubricant approach.

Best Regards,


Lisa

1952 Chevy Carryall in completely original condition
Pulled out of a barn in Colorado high desert
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
riverdancer9, back in my high school days I had an old 54 4dr Chevy as my work car and clunker. I wiped it down with diesel fuel one summer day and it lasted quite a while and made the old blue color stand out.......only problem was we lived on a long dirt road and it was about a week before the red dust wouldn't stick to it.

It'd be nice to have a before and after picture.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0