The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (52Carl, Wayne67vert, 53 green 1- ton, Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, DadsFirstPickup, greenie-reddy), 67 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
hello everybody,

getting close (maybe) to putting my cab back together. my cab was completely rotten from the lower door hinges down. i have mocked up (tek screwed) all the patches panels in and everything seems to jive with the exception of the doors sitting inside of the cowls. hinges are rebuilt, no weather stripping, no latches/strikers.

on the top of the lower hinge is two bolts, can someone verify the distance across the cab to each outside bolt? center to center. the cab is '48 first series 1/2 ton.
i replaced the lower pillars (aftermarket) and have a feeling when i welded the hinge pockets back in that they are slightly "in" to far.

thanks

ryan

Last edited by rmw667; 01/05/2018 3:36 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Mmmm, just what model/sytle/year you working on?




1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
haha just realized that and you beat me to it. fixed the original post

Last edited by rmw667; 01/05/2018 3:36 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
rmw667, maybe I'm getting old and forgetful but I do not recall a 48 1st series. Perhaps a 47 first series or a 55 1st series?

maybe I'm all wrong so wait for others to chime in. (I've been wrong before)


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
you are correct Alvin


Maybe he has a 1948 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup .



Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Sorry about being pedantic, but Chevrolet referred-to and had documents describing 1955-1st series and 1955-2nd series Advance-Design or Task Force trucks.

1946 trucks were sold by dealers into 1947 until they ran out, but Chevrolet did not refer to 1947 first series and 1947 second series. The Advance-Design series of trucks is the 1947 series of trucks.

Does anyone have a Chevrolet document that refers to a 1947 first series truck?

Nonetheless, the above info is off topic.

Ryan posted: "the cab is '48 first series 1/2 ton"

As Alvin posted, there was only one 1948 series of Chevrolet trucks. But, maybe Ryan is referring to changes that might have occurred in the 1948 calendar/model year?

Nonetheless, the measurements Ryans is asking for could be measured on just about any 1/2-1 ton A-D truck (I think)?


Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Brand New 1947-53 Cab Assembly
Video Series

NEW Cab Build! (1 of 3)
NEW Cab Build! (2 of 3)
NEW Cab Build! (3 of 3)

The above videos are from Premier Street Rod these guys may know a thing or two about AD cab dimensions.



Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
technically it's a 47 sold in 48 1/2 ton 5 window gmc 100, advanced design.

I apologize for stating 1st series. that may be misleading.

I could be wrong, but I think any smaller truck 47-53 will fit the bill. unsure about 54 and 55 1st

Last edited by rmw667; 01/05/2018 3:16 PM.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Ok, I'm looking at my factory assembly manual that covers 1947 -1954 Chevrolet Trucks and although it does not show the outside measurement for the outside bolt as you requested, it does show that the distance of the single bottom bolt to the truck centerline is 29.460" ( Sect 1, sheet 1.07 ) so from lower bolt to lower bolt would be 2x or 58.920". I cannot verify but it appears that the bottom bolt hole is "centered" between the two upper bolts on the lower hinge. Just in case you need it, on the top hinge, the single bolt centerline is 28.460" . Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dusty53; 01/05/2018 8:09 PM.

Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
I went and measured my lower hinge top outside bolts for you. (With my wife's help). 60.25" C to C. That seems to jive with the numbers given by Dusty.
If someone can verify that would be great and give even more peace of mind.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Fox, I measured mine at the top of the threaded holes and I got 60.187 ( 60 3/16 ) . Its kind of difficult to do by oneself............I can see that because the threaded holes are "angled" that the farther away you go from the face of the threaded holes ( as in the hinge being bolted on) that the distance will be greater so I'm thinking that your measurement is probably very accurate. Hope this helps rmw667 .


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,168
Dusty,
Yes it is curved. My tape was held against the cab door frame. I did not bend my tape at all. Used a a straight edge to center on bolt. My wife was holding the other end. 1/16th out? I'd suspect that's well within standards of the 50's on door fitment.

I know mine didn't fit worth blah.


1970 Chevrolet C10
Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny
Follow the build in the Project Journal
1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually
"Ole Red Girl"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here
1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's
Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Fox,
I agree 100%.


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0