The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,318
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1242161 11/06/2017 1:28 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Hello guys,

Today, I bought my first "Big Bolt", a 52 Chevy. I have owned several half ton AD pickups over the past 30 years but this is my first 2 ton, and I have been wanting one for a while. I am wanting to learn from you all so I may post questions from time to time.

The biggest thing I am seeing is that there aren't a lot of part available for the bigger antique Chevy's unless some of the newer truck parts will inner-change.

I will attach some photos below.

Kevin.
Attachments
00f0f_gFNEOSyowdO_1200x900.jpg (173.11 KB, 316 downloads)
00909_kGijFHppCPN_1200x900.jpg (160.74 KB, 320 downloads)
00p0p_56U7rXIeelj_1200x900.jpg (119.12 KB, 294 downloads)


1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Nice looking truck !!


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Good luck with parts - post want ads in the Swap meet - Stovebolt.com is probably your best bet.

That is a fine looking truck.

Do you have a purpose for the truck (not that one is needed)?

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Thanks guys!

tclederman, no I don't really have a purpose, just wanted a bigger truck to play with. I will use it from time to to transport lumber and plywood from the local Lowes to our home!

Kevin


1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
sweet! I have 2 of the 2-tons. Mine are newer though. I have been able to find a lot of parts at Napa and Rock Auto for mine, at least wheel cylinder kits, brake hoses, drive shaft carrier bearing, and stuff like that. Not much from newer trucks will interchange, cab stuff (at least on the Task Force trucks) is all the same as the smaller trucks.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by 69Cuda
sweet! I have 2 of the 2-tons. Mine are newer though. I have been able to find a lot of parts at Napa and Rock Auto for mine, at least wheel cylinder kits, brake hoses, drive shaft carrier bearing, and stuff like that. Not much from newer trucks will interchange, cab stuff (at least on the Task Force trucks) is all the same as the smaller trucks.

Thanks 69Cuda!

I appreciate that. I knew that the cabs are the same as the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks but that is about all I know so it's a learning process! I do like the 1963 292 engine that is in it!

Kevin


1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,601
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,601
Watch it Kevin!
Big Bolts can be addictive!
BTW, Great looking truck!

If you ever are around the Jeff City area, Let me know and I'll buy you lunch.
Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Looks like you found a nice one! Congrats!!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 81
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 81
Very nice looking truck. Congrats and hope I will be able to provide input in the future as I too am learning about them,.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by 2-Ton
Watch it Kevin!
Big Bolts can be addictive!
BTW, Great looking truck!

If you ever are around the Jeff City area, Let me know and I'll buy you lunch.
Don

Thanks Don!

Sounds good!

Kevin


1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Rich'sToys
Looks like you found a nice one! Congrats!!

Thanks Rich!

Kevin


1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Joiner Transit
Very nice looking truck. Congrats and hope I will be able to provide input in the future as I too am learning about them,.

Thank you!

Kevin


1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 55
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 55
Great looking truck, Congratulations

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 10
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 10
Great looking truck try Jim Carter they don't advertise it on their website but they have wheel bearings and stuff for the one and a half and two tons but you have to call to know


TENINE
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Just got MY first big bolt, 1950 4400 cab n chassis.
Already started the restore to looking good it runs, drives n stops via e-brake

Tophat
San Tan Valley AZ
1950 4400


Tophat

1950 4400
1949 3100
1946 2 ton flatbed
1949 3800 panel
1952 3100 panel (newest one)

Queen Creek AZ
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Welcome to Stovebolt.com, Tophat

Start a few more posts, maybe post a few photos, and tell us more about your truck and what plan do do with it.
That'll get you up to the "quota" that allows PMs, and use of the Swap Meet.

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Very nice truck. I'd leave it just as it is. I wouldn't attempt to modernize it. What parts are you looking for, or should I say, what does it need ?

Last edited by spanky; 02/10/2018 8:45 PM.

Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Can you post or bucket a few more pics of The bed I’ve got a 50 version of that same truck but mines a ton and a half and I’m looking to build a bed for the back of it basically the same style as well I can see in the front view picture of your truck

Tophat
1950 4400
Resto to drive it


Tophat

1950 4400
1949 3100
1946 2 ton flatbed
1949 3800 panel
1952 3100 panel (newest one)

Queen Creek AZ
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 79
Tophat here

Bought this 1950 4400 at auction on a whim needed therapy project (boredom) So I got it home and decided that since it needed new floor and outside cab corners the easier thing would be to take cab off of frame so it could be done right. Found a shop local that could/would do it and so it started. I went slow and removed bits and pieces bagged and tagged packed into totes for later. Right now the truck is in chassis roller cab and sheet-metal have been dustless blasted A glass and water mixed blasting style primed and ready to go to the shop for a new floor and exterior cab corners. Everyone asked me what are you gonna do with it when you’re done “haven’t made up my mind” so that no immediate plans to do anything with it when I’m done other than keep it. Ordered all new seals and rubbers gaskets and miscellaneous missing parts already planned on putting bucket seats with the console in it as it had no seat. Since the floor I ordered, I ordered it without a seat riser but It came with a seat riser seperate so we’ll see maybe I will go back to Bench.

I’ll get photos up soon

Tophat
1950 4400


Tophat

1950 4400
1949 3100
1946 2 ton flatbed
1949 3800 panel
1952 3100 panel (newest one)

Queen Creek AZ
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Tophat, instead of piggybacking onto someone else’s thread why not start your own? Much easier to keep up with different trucks. If you want to document your build go to the DITY forum which is a sub-forum in the Welcome Center. Thanks


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
NICE 52 truck! Congrats.


Professional Novice

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0