The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (3B, Bill Hanlon, TooMany2count, Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, GDW, 1 invisible), 114 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,460
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1239246 10/14/2017 7:12 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I've been looking for a 235 since I lost a piston and killed my 216.
Ran across a 1961 blue flame 140 that's out of a Biscayne, has 1300 miles on it since a complete rebuild, would that be a good motor for my 41?


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
What's the price? That would be a very good swap, with only a few minor modifications to make such as relocating the water pump with Pre-68 Dave's adapter plate. The pump on that engine is about 3" lower on the block and it gets the fan way off center on the radiator. You'll also need to use the bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, and starter from the trashed 216 to complete the transplant.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
That is a good choice, but there a few things that would need work to put it in.
1. water pump conversion.
2. 1960 and later dropped the pivot point for the stock throttle linkage.(I have one remedy on my blog).
3. drilling timing plate for your front mount.
4. Manifold. 41 has straight down exhaust dump, 62 will angle back. So head pipe work would need to be done. Or, I personally use adapter rings in the head to allow the use of the 216 manifold on the 235.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
There asking 1000 but I asked if they would come down waiting on a reply, as far as the modifications that doesn't sound to bad


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
He won't come off 1000 and is hopeing it'll be bidded up as it's on eBay, I think that's gonna be to expensive for me


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
Does he have a reserve? Is he close by? If so and it's to your liking, tell him you'll pay the reserve and pick it up.

Rick


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
No I don't think he has a reserve but I can't afford 1000 right now


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Id only pay that price if the seller can document with receipts what was done and by whom. Best of luck


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
I wonder why a 1300 mile "rebuilt" engine is for sale. Did he wreck the car, install a V8, or what? Ask for invoices proving the rebuild, and keep negotiating!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
No 216/235/261 is worth more than $400 to me if I don't know the guy, and I know the guy would give me my money back if it needs significant work.
I am particularly skeptical about a $1,000 price. It costs 3 times that much to have one rebuilt.
Keep looking.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 843
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 843
A friend of mine has a 210 blue flame in a 55 sedan he never new the term stovebolt and I don't know about blue flame could someone enlighten me


57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Here is some information on a Stove Bolt Six engine.
The name was used for all 6 cylinder Chevrolet engines from 1937-1963 (194, 207, 181, 216, 235 (two types), and 261)

The Chevrolet Blue Flame Six was the name for the high-pressure Chevrolet 235 6-cylinder engine that first appeared in 1953.

A significantly modified version of that Blue Flame Six was used in 1953/1954 and some 1955 Corvettes.
Hi-Compression 160hp 235 with 3-side-draft carburetors (and a modified lift cam in 1954).

http://www.superchevy.com/features/...blue-flame-six-first-engine-illustrated/

The name was used from 53-62 and most commonly referred to the car version of the 235 because it was painted blue. Not that it matters, but maybe someone has a reference to a Blue Flame truck engine (a few of us sickos would like to see it).
Attachments
1954 blue flame 235.jpg (110.08 KB, 176 downloads)
1954 blue flame 115.jpg (94.92 KB, 171 downloads)

Last edited by tclederman; 10/16/2017 12:44 PM. Reason: added Stove Bolt information
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
If it's on Ebay it must be invisible- - - - -nothing I can find there even remotely resembles the one you're describing. I'm beginning to smell the odor that's found downwind from a feed lot with a bunch of beef cattle!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
Here's the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-COMPLETE-CHEVROLET-235-6-CYLINDER-ENGINE-W-3-SPD-TRANSMISSION-READY-TO-GO/132361770038?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123831%26meid%3Dc90ea99b633f4576a63b47b5ceedc15c%26pid%3D100170%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D122743855399&_trksid=p5411.c100170.m2943


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Wellll- - - - -it looks good, and he's offering the transmission along with it. You might find a buyer for the trans to offset some of the cost. Since the car is supposedly being butchered, at least there's a reason for a good condition engine being offered at a discounted price. Ditto on the cost estimate for a good rebuild- - - -$2500.00 minimum, at least in my neighborhood, and more if much machine work is involved!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 843
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 843
Thanks just read all about blue flame


57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
PIC of a Chevy Blue Flame 140 6 cyl. engine .


'54 3600
George
Attachments
Blue_Flame_140_.jpg (192.19 KB, 142 downloads)

Last edited by '54 3600; 10/15/2017 7:26 AM. Reason: add

1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
Ok the blue flame has a wierd water pump on it, not like a stovebolt Normal water pump,
How would I go about getting it to clear the radiator?


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 155
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 155
The water pump on the 235 engine is a bit longer and mounts lower than the water pump on a 216 engine. This can cause a problem with radiator clearance as well as the fan cooling only the lower half of the radiator. There are several solutions to this problem but the easiest is to purchase a 216 style water pump and adaptor plate which permits it to be mounted in the same position as the earlier engine.
Other solutions involve shortening the 235 water pump shaft, changing pulleys and fans, and moving the radiator forward a bit.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0