The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, Jay R, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 100 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 243
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 243
trying to remove the hood part that the latch part attachs to the hood held in with small clutchhead screws 2 are stripped and there flush screws no shoulder to grab any thoughts on how to get them out????

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,254
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,254
Drill the head, retap later.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
grind the heads off enough to get the latch plate up and then you can soak the broken screws a little and then use a pair of vice grips on the "nubs" that are left and twist them out.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,254
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,254
Gonna take a lot of sheet metal with that grinding. These are countersunk screws.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
drill the heads leave the stud part to grab later

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 42
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 42
If you drill out screws with left hand bits a lot of them grab and come all the way out.

Thanks, Kelly

53 3100
http://www.cravy.com/53-3100/LadyAfterRats.jpg

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
If you have a Dremel tool, sometimes you can grind a slot in the head and use a flat blade screwdriver to get them out.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
When I bought the truck the PO gave me the 4pc Blue handle clutch head driver set that the vendors sell. All of them fit very loosely in the slots, is this normal for this type of screw?
I've also noticed that the 4 hex drivers that I bought from McMaster Carr also fit loosely, must be the screw butterflies were made pretty sloppy.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0