The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, 59 fleet, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, Cletus1950, tclederman), 159 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,217
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1224485 07/09/2017 1:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
Hey Folks!
I'm the new owner of my dad's 1951 Chevy 1 ton dually! I'm going to be fixing it up and I'll likely have some questions along the way.
I'd like to upgrade the brake system and the first thing I'd like to do is get new brake lines. Does anyone make pre-bent stainless lines for the 1 tons?

I'd like to put a 9' flatbed back on the truck, with shorty rails (stake bed) but I'd like to get a metal surround to use as the bed frame. Does anyone make something that looks somewhat original? I've seen a few of the threads with custom beds being made but I can't figure out if my only option to to find an old bed that has the surround that is salvageable, or if I can find that somewhere.
Lastly, I'd like to get a new fuel tank to put under the bed. Looking for advice from folks who have done this. Where did you put the tank and what size was it? Any OEM tanks that will drop in between the rails out back?
Thanks guys!

-Nick

Last edited by NickE; 07/09/2017 1:18 AM.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I saw one that used 1/4 of a small fuel drum for each front corner, looked pretty realistic.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 103
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 103
I'll be at the location of a 46 today in southern Oregon. I'm fairly certain it has the bed you're looking for.


My 1955 GMC 450 Dump Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Elderly Iron
"Performance" is the pursuit of a toy that won't break.
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
What's wrong with putting the gas tank back in the cab as original? Less fabrication that way. A lot of us drive our trucks that way and in 20 years of running this site, I have yet to hear of anyone blowing up. Just sayin'


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 103
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 103
Someone took the rails off the bed. I could look about, but I don't think I'll find them. That wasn't as disheartening as seeing that the people who took the doors also hacke the center of the dash out, destroying a good cab.


My 1955 GMC 450 Dump Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Elderly Iron
"Performance" is the pursuit of a toy that won't break.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by John Milliman
What's wrong with putting the gas tank back in the cab as original? Less fabrication that way. A lot of us drive our trucks that way and in 20 years of running this site, I have yet to hear of anyone blowing up. Just sayin'

Good point. My only thought was that I might try to find a more comfortable bench seat to put in the cab and I might need the extra real estate to mount it.

-Nick

#1225150 07/12/2017 3:21 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by Elderly Iron
Someone took the rails off the bed. I could look about, but I don't think I'll find them. That wasn't as disheartening as seeing that the people who took the doors also hacke the center of the dash out, destroying a good cab.

Ouch.
Thanks for the update. I'll probably just keep my eyes peeled for something locally. Thank you!

-Nick

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Nick -- Good/valid point about the comfy bench seat! By all means, remove the gas tank then! I will call off the Originality Gestapo smile


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0