Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (55shaker, 1955 1 Series, BC59, 3800GUY, RaNfLaS, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55),
156
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,104 Posts1,056,201 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 39 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 39 | Hey Folks! I'm the new owner of my dad's 1951 Chevy 1 ton dually! I'm going to be fixing it up and I'll likely have some questions along the way. I'd like to upgrade the brake system and the first thing I'd like to do is get new brake lines. Does anyone make pre-bent stainless lines for the 1 tons?
I'd like to put a 9' flatbed back on the truck, with shorty rails (stake bed) but I'd like to get a metal surround to use as the bed frame. Does anyone make something that looks somewhat original? I've seen a few of the threads with custom beds being made but I can't figure out if my only option to to find an old bed that has the surround that is salvageable, or if I can find that somewhere. Lastly, I'd like to get a new fuel tank to put under the bed. Looking for advice from folks who have done this. Where did you put the tank and what size was it? Any OEM tanks that will drop in between the rails out back? Thanks guys!
-Nick
Last edited by NickE; 07/09/2017 1:18 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | I saw one that used 1/4 of a small fuel drum for each front corner, looked pretty realistic.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 103 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 103 | I'll be at the location of a 46 today in southern Oregon. I'm fairly certain it has the bed you're looking for. | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | What's wrong with putting the gas tank back in the cab as original? Less fabrication that way. A lot of us drive our trucks that way and in 20 years of running this site, I have yet to hear of anyone blowing up. Just sayin'
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 103 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 103 | Someone took the rails off the bed. I could look about, but I don't think I'll find them. That wasn't as disheartening as seeing that the people who took the doors also hacke the center of the dash out, destroying a good cab. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 39 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 39 | What's wrong with putting the gas tank back in the cab as original? Less fabrication that way. A lot of us drive our trucks that way and in 20 years of running this site, I have yet to hear of anyone blowing up. Just sayin' Good point. My only thought was that I might try to find a more comfortable bench seat to put in the cab and I might need the extra real estate to mount it. -Nick | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 39 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 39 | Someone took the rails off the bed. I could look about, but I don't think I'll find them. That wasn't as disheartening as seeing that the people who took the doors also hacke the center of the dash out, destroying a good cab. Ouch. Thanks for the update. I'll probably just keep my eyes peeled for something locally. Thank you! -Nick | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Nick -- Good/valid point about the comfy bench seat! By all means, remove the gas tank then! I will call off the Originality Gestapo 
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | |
| |