Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,449 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 7 | Every time I change the oil in my rebuilt 1955 235, after I let the oil set for about six hours in a clear container I notice water at the bottom of the container. The oil isn't murky which would make me assume a bad head gasket. Additionally the coolant level stays the same. The water is clear and not the color of antifreeze. The engine doesn't have a oil filter and the amount of water that is present is less than a pint. The engine runs great so any advice as to whats going on. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 2,234 Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part | | Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 2,234 | Could it be fuel from flooding and not actually water? Is your coolant at the correct mix of 50-50? (I understand level is not changing) What color was the coolant that you poured into your radiator? Just curious because where would clear "water" come from in your engine.
Chris
Last edited by ndkid275; 06/20/2017 9:11 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | I had some actual seepage from head gasket on a motor I assembled, fix was to pull each head bolt and coat the threads with Teflon dope and retorque, been no issues since. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | It's just condensation. These old engines didn't have a PCV system. Make sure your vent system is good. You must have a vent cap on the valve cover. Make sure the road draft tube is clean & clear. If you are not losing coolant & you have no white smoke out the tail pipe, you are OK. Gasoline would mix with the oil & not separate. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2014 Posts: 7 | The coolant was dark green and doesn't need to be mixed. I was thinking condensation, I'll check the draft tube for cleanliness. As always thank you gentlemen for your input. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 | Converting to a PCV ventilation system would be the permanent solution. It eliminates the road draft tube, and the better systems use a sealed oil fill cap and draw filtered ventilation air from the "clean" side of the air filter. I did dozens of that type of conversion back in the mid-1970's when California mandated that all vehicles had to be retrofitted to a closed crankcase system. The crankcase vapors will be drawn into the intake and purged through the muffler and tailpipe. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 | Rick, Another point to mention regarding the ventilation, or lack of; the truck needs to be driven when the engine is running for the system to work. I am convinced my practice of idling my truck engine in the yard 6 years ago to "circulate" everything (show folks the engine, et cetera ) caused more harm than good. You are exactly half way between here & my hometown where I hope to be driving my 55.2 235 in a month or so...  I may be in touch. Good luck. Brad Wrench Fetcher, PhD | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Following on from Brad's advice: it might cost you less than a PCV system to drive your truck in high gear for 20-30 minutes at high speed at the end of any low-speed or short-run trip.
I have no PCV set-up on any of my small trucks, and I never have water in my oil. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 | Hey, Brad- - - - -I hope that engine is back in running shape again! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | One of the worst things one can do is short trips, as above, getout and drive it, and just not around the block, an hour at least, that will burn the water out, normal combustion generates about as much water as fuel burned, so that adds to the system if it is not burned out.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 | Could just be Alabama humidity and not enough driving like you stole it to cook off the condensation.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 2,234 Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part | | Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 2,234 | Well, I learned something new today! Thanks guys!
Chris | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 | I added a PCV setup to my 49 216 primarily to combat the cold weather condensation build up it would get. Changed out the 160 thermostat to a 180 thinking more engine heat would help too. Neither did. Altho I believe the PCV mod is an improvement over the draft tube so I kept it, I dropped back down to the 160.
In warm weather the 216 will blow out upto a cup of clear water out the tail pipe while it warms up but no condensation in the valve cover. In cold weather I get the same plus a milky residue in the valve cover right at the oil fill and on the dip stick.
I attribute it to the massive blowby the engine has. I runs great and I drive it year round so I don't sweat it. I just make sure I take it out and run it for at least an hr once a week and it does us both good to do so.
I added an overflow reservoir for the coolant and so far I haven't had top add any antifreeze so I'm certain it's condensation and not any coolant leaking. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 | Mr. Jerry, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me once I get time to put the engine back in the truck... it should be a plug & play operation this go around, but I'd like one of your "real-time/real-world" practical application engine courses if we can arrange it again. You've got the knack for making those events 0.01% as stressful!
Rick, this is a good thread & I don't mean to blabber in the middle of it. Ed adds an excellent science fact to further clarify the theme of "driving it like you stole it" to get rid of condensate.
With the temperature fluctuations since last summer a pint of water is not alarming if there hasn't been a recent oil change (as in, this year).
Brad
Wrench Fetcher, PhD | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 | Excess condensation in the crankcase which cannot be alleviated by long drives (or driving like you stole it) and by the road draft tube/PCV system would indicate excessive blow-by past the pistons from too much ring/cylinder wear. (All of this has already been said. I thought I'd put it all in one run-on sentence.)
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | |
| |