The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Tronman, Gray_Ghost), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1222079 06/20/2017 8:22 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
Every time I change the oil in my rebuilt 1955 235, after I let the oil set for about six hours in a clear container I notice water at the bottom of the container. The oil isn't murky which would make me assume a bad head gasket. Additionally the coolant level stays the same. The water is clear and not the color of antifreeze. The engine doesn't have a oil filter and the amount of water that is present is less than a pint. The engine runs great so any advice as to whats going on.

Rick1951 #1222086 06/20/2017 9:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Could it be fuel from flooding and not actually water? Is your coolant at the correct mix of 50-50? (I understand level is not changing) What color was the coolant that you poured into your radiator? Just curious because where would clear "water" come from in your engine.

Chris

Last edited by ndkid275; 06/20/2017 9:11 PM.
Rick1951 #1222087 06/20/2017 9:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I had some actual seepage from head gasket on a motor I assembled, fix was to pull each head bolt and coat the threads with Teflon dope and retorque, been no issues since.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Rick1951 #1222088 06/20/2017 9:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It's just condensation. These old engines didn't have a PCV system. Make sure your vent system is good. You must have a vent cap on the valve cover. Make sure the road draft tube is clean & clear. If you are not losing coolant & you have no white smoke out the tail pipe, you are OK. Gasoline would mix with the oil & not separate.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Rick1951 #1222093 06/20/2017 10:16 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
The coolant was dark green and doesn't need to be mixed. I was thinking condensation, I'll check the draft tube for cleanliness. As always thank you gentlemen for your input.

Rick1951 #1222094 06/20/2017 10:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Converting to a PCV ventilation system would be the permanent solution. It eliminates the road draft tube, and the better systems use a sealed oil fill cap and draw filtered ventilation air from the "clean" side of the air filter. I did dozens of that type of conversion back in the mid-1970's when California mandated that all vehicles had to be retrofitted to a closed crankcase system. The crankcase vapors will be drawn into the intake and purged through the muffler and tailpipe.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Rick1951 #1222097 06/20/2017 10:49 PM
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
Rick,
Another point to mention regarding the ventilation, or lack of; the truck needs to be driven when the engine is running for the system to work. I am convinced my practice of idling my truck engine in the yard 6 years ago to "circulate" everything (show folks the engine, et cetera ) caused more harm than good.

You are exactly half way between here & my hometown where I hope to be driving my 55.2 235 in a month or so... wink
I may be in touch. Good luck.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Rick1951 #1222099 06/20/2017 10:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Following on from Brad's advice: it might cost you less than a PCV system to drive your truck in high gear for 20-30 minutes at high speed at the end of any low-speed or short-run trip.

I have no PCV set-up on any of my small trucks, and I never have water in my oil.

Rick1951 #1222109 06/20/2017 11:50 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Hey, Brad- - - - -I hope that engine is back in running shape again!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Rick1951 #1222110 06/20/2017 11:52 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
One of the worst things one can do is short trips, as above, getout and drive it, and just not around the block, an hour at least, that will burn the water out, normal combustion generates about as much water as fuel burned, so that adds to the system if it is not burned out.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Rick1951 #1222112 06/21/2017 12:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Could just be Alabama humidity and not enough driving like you stole it to cook off the condensation.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Rick1951 #1222114 06/21/2017 12:15 AM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Well, I learned something new today! Thanks guys!

Chris

Rick1951 #1222125 06/21/2017 12:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
I added a PCV setup to my 49 216 primarily to combat the cold weather condensation build up it would get. Changed out the 160 thermostat to a 180 thinking more engine heat would help too. Neither did. Altho I believe the PCV mod is an improvement over the draft tube so I kept it, I dropped back down to the 160.

In warm weather the 216 will blow out upto a cup of clear water out the tail pipe while it warms up but no condensation in the valve cover. In cold weather I get the same plus a milky residue in the valve cover right at the oil fill and on the dip stick.

I attribute it to the massive blowby the engine has. I runs great and I drive it year round so I don't sweat it. I just make sure I take it out and run it for at least an hr once a week and it does us both good to do so.

I added an overflow reservoir for the coolant and so far I haven't had top add any antifreeze so I'm certain it's condensation and not any coolant leaking.

Rick1951 #1222145 06/21/2017 5:44 AM
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
Mr. Jerry, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me once I get time to put the engine back in the truck... it should be a plug & play operation this go around, but I'd like one of your "real-time/real-world" practical application engine courses if we can arrange it again. You've got the knack for making those events 0.01% as stressful!

Rick, this is a good thread & I don't mean to blabber in the middle of it. Ed adds an excellent science fact to further clarify the theme of "driving it like you stole it" to get rid of condensate.

With the temperature fluctuations since last summer a pint of water is not alarming if there hasn't been a recent oil change (as in, this year).

Brad




Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Rick1951 #1222244 06/22/2017 3:28 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Excess condensation in the crankcase which cannot be alleviated by long drives (or driving like you stole it) and by the road draft tube/PCV system would indicate excessive blow-by past the pistons from too much ring/cylinder wear.
(All of this has already been said. I thought I'd put it all in one run-on sentence.)


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0