The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Millenimech, papas52), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I tried to make the most of the long weekend by starting phase one of the paint process which consitsted of getting all the miscellaneous parts prepped, primed, painted and clear coated. Pictures of this process are included in the following link.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8309838&uid=2902753&members=1

Some of the pics need to be brightened up a bit.

Phase two of the process will be to pull the engine and get the firewall and front cowl prepped, primed, painted and cleared. I was hoping to get that started on Sunday but some repairs to some of the parts painted ion Saturday took the entire day and still have to be brought to closure. :mad:

It does feel good to FINALLY get some color laid down. I need to get back to the office so I can relax a bit.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 63
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 63
Looks great Houston,
I am jelous I have so much to do before paint keep up the good work and updates, Aaron

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Unable to tell the color from the pics Silver?
Laugh at your shop, Looks as well organized as mine. Everytime I use a tool I have to put 2 back and still never get everything in its place.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 227
Nice work!!

Sorry to see so much problems with the tailgate. Is it the original? I have the original on my 60 but the amount of pitting is making me think that I should go with another one. Maybe a new reproduction one.

What HVLP paint gun are you using? It looks like the one Harbor Freight sells? How well did it work for you?


1960 Chevy Apache (C10)
1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck
1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The color is Toyo1D6 which is on the newer Toyota Tundras. It was a hard choice to make between the VW silver, Mercedes, porche and SAAB. Sorry guys, the only domestic silver that was considered was a dodge color but the cost was 1/3 higher for some reason.
The shop/garage is not much to brag on but it does keep everything in one place. There in lies part of the problem in that everything else is also in that same one place. Plus it is hard to make it look organized when you have fenders, grills, and such scattered everywhere.
The tailgate is not original to the truck and had some issues that needed to be resolved. I will probably take it down to metal tonight and re-prime it this week. The HVLP gun I am using is a Harbor Freight $40 special and is doing a pretty good job. Once you get the air/paint settings correct it lays down the material in a nice smooth manner. It is sensitive to air pressure though.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
H54,
Go on back to the office and take a break....You did well.....Looks great !!!!!Good luck with tailgate. I'm just starting to round corner to start putting mine back together myself and you're way ahead of me!!!!
Dan

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 147
R
RT1 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 147
H54, looks good....

-RT1
*

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
Yea but did the dog catch the squirrel? Ask him guys. LOL

popcorn The Truth is Out There (Only Mr.54!!!) Pops

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK OK - The reason the tailgate needed to be redone was I had it laying in the grass and the dog decided the shortest distance between him and a squirrel on the fence was right over the newly painted tailgate. No - he missed the squirrel but not the new paint :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

Get your laughes in Corn - Payback is soon

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
:p :::: Pops

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
looking good Houston,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how much you want for it when you finish?

pops.. how about a status check on yours?


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
Ok Joker: Got the under side of the cab all ryhno lined came out Great! Ordered the paint from Harley Davidson "Mystic Green" as soon as I get it; finish bottom and firewall! Turn cab upright finish roof (Might have Jay help me) and back side that is the body filler and primer.

Then off to painter to finish cab and doors top coat and sealer. Kinda leary doing that part!

popcorn The Truth is Out There (I'll send some pics to you soon) Pops

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
you told me that 3 yrs ago grin


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
H54

Excellent job even for an Astros fan.

I am shooting primer tomorrow. I wish I was as far along as you.

Weeds

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Have any planned "on the road" date. Betcha the silver will look great.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks - I like the color also. It looks great when the sun hits it.

As for when it will be on the road all I can say is I work with deadlines at work and this is supposed to be fun so if work = deadlines then Fun = no deadlines.

I would like to get this truck up and running by the end of the summer so I can start a new one but there is still a long way to go on the 54. It seems that once I finish one punchlist there is another list to be worked.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0