The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (kades51, Hotrod Lincoln, 1955 1 Series, TexasA&M48Truck, CandoBrent), 147 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,211
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1196299 12/21/2016 3:42 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Hi All,

I want to paint my hood springs. If I remove the spring from the bracket will I be able to put it back as before? I imagine that it would be a difficult task to coil it back to the proper position. Anyone tackle this before?

rc356s #1196305 12/21/2016 4:18 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
I don't recall any difficulty or drama when I did mine. I recall it being fairly easy.

rc356s #1196309 12/21/2016 5:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
Not much of a problem. You'll need a stick to hold up the hood unless you have someone to help. Disconnect at the hood first. You'll have to move the hood up and down a bit to get the weight off the bolt. Be sure to note left side,right side.

BC52 #1196316 12/21/2016 6:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 160
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 160
You said "spring from the bracket", not the bracket assembly from the truck.
I would not in anyway disassemble the spring from the whole assembly, that's asking for trouble.
Just take the whole assembly off, sandblast, spray paint, and reinstall. No need to completely paint the inner surface of the coil.


NHluvstruck...
1951 3100 5-window,.sold, regretted
https://stonefacegarage.wixsite.com/mysite
51 Chevy Restoration Page
rc356s #1196737 12/24/2016 2:53 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
I use a piece of 1 3/4 exhaust tubing split in half length wise with a washer that just fits the ID welded/brazed at each end. Open the hood just enough to reach arm through and snap tool into place in spring coil gaps and then raise hood to full open position. Springs usually fall onto floor. To paint, the spring is hooked one end to a socket extension clamped in the vise and the other end to a come-a-long which is hooked to the far end of the bench. Work come-a-long till spring has good gaps for painting and leave until paint has dried.


Evan

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0