The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 121 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1192295 11/24/2016 8:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
I have come across a used non polished c.a.w. valve, and its for sale. What is the average price for a average used one going for. I'm not using eBay for a base. I would like to know what people in this forum have paid or sold one for or have one for sale.I have found the history and the patient info, and know how rare they are. thank you

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The gentleman who made them lived in Denver, no one in the family lives at that address now. I have one too.

Ed

Last edited by EdPruss; 11/24/2016 9:47 PM.

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
do you think its worth more than $350?

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
i know you said you don't want to use eBay as a reference, but there are 2 on there for ~$600...

ps what's C.A.W mean/stand for?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The gentleman who made them, I forgot his name.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
How did you search for it on ebay?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
I did a eBay search history. 1 guy in the UK was selling one on a forum for 100-200E in unused condition. It was gone in February. The 2 on eBay are used, one was painted. The price is high, but all aftermarket supplies are not available. 1 supplier states that Offenhauser cover mold was damaged. and no-one knows when more are going to be on the market. The Wayne valve cover are also in short in supply. I don't want over pay for a piece of history that know one knows about.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
So decide what it's worth to you personally for your own reasons, and don't spend any more than that...

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
"ps what's C.A.W mean/stand for?"

C. (Charles) A. Wefing
4851 W. Hayward Place
Denver Colorado

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I have had one for a number of years. As I understand it, C.A.W. stands for Colorado Auto Works. Colorado Auto Works was trucking company that ran a fleet of trucks for years in Denver. All of the trucks were powered by 235 engines with noisy valves, and when the trucks left the warehouse in the mornings, the local families complained so much about the noisy valve trains on the truck engines in the cold weather months that the owner of the company had valve covers cast for his fleet of trucks. Supposedly, covers were installed on the fleet of trucks in hopes the solid lifter valves on the trucks would more quiet. How many trucks there were, I don't know, but it must have been a lot because these things have been around for a lot of years. I have a neighbor here where I live now who lived in Denver for years and he told he never heard of the company. He tells me that part of Denver is no long the type of area for a trucking company.
A cover in good condition will polish up nicely and even though they aren't well "decorated" with fins, they still look nice. Most collectors of the valve covers made for 216-235-261 engines do include this cover in their collection.
Just my thoughts here: With your initials being C.A.W., how could you pass that up? For you, a cover in nice condition ready for polish, the prices seem reasonable. And your in Denver to boot!! Seems like a nice touch to a Stovebolt with it's home in Denver!


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444


1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
CAW valve cover with patent drawing with name on document : Charles A. Wefing

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30524403/CAW%20valve%20cover%20installed.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30524403/CAW%20name%20address%20on%20valve%20cover.jpg

A poster here suggested Colorado Aluminum Works, but no reference is given. Also, one poster also suggested CAW refers to Charles A Wefing. It could refer to both, and/or to Colorado Auto Works and/or something else? Could be any/all of the suggestions the these posts.

Last edited by tclederman; 11/27/2016 8:07 PM. Reason: removed displayed images
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Just a guess Tim, but my way of thinking would be if the C.A.W. is over the top of the address, as in the picture, it would at least seem to make sense that the C A W would be for the company name with address underneath....thus Colorado Aluminum (Auto?) Works.

...just me thinking again.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 11/28/2016 3:48 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
This is an interesting mystery. All answers are based on logical speculation.

Here's one from Ed Pruss, posted on Inliners.org

Here's the house that is now at that address.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
OK - I didn't get the gentleman's name as being the man who made the cover in my remarks. I was going with the name Colorado Auto Works and thought the writer of the post was named Charles A. Wefing. Duh.....forgive me.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
No problem, this is interesting (and, this speculation serves no purpose, really). They are very nice and rare valve covers, no matter what CAW refers to.

This might have been an aluminum foundry, or things might have changed over the years.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
The picture of the neighborhood doesn't lend itself well to the comments from myself and others regarding the part of Denver this "place" was in. But, I guess things can change in 50 or more years.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0