The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 26
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 26
I want to connect my two piece hood without using the original strip. I understand that that welding the seam can be very tricky.

What about using the 3M body panel connection adhesive? I have heard and seen pictures of it being used in place of welding. One example I saw was to use the adhesive for replacement floor boards.

I do not know the type or name of the particular 3M adhesive/glue.

Any ideas on whether or not to use it and, if so, what product to use?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
Interesting idea. Maybe it would work best in combination with a few small welds along the seam?

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 90
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 90
michael- check here for panel adhesive
http://products3.3m.com/catalog

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
It is used extensively in new cars, my buddy the bodyman says its best thing since sliced bread. He advised not using it in structural parts, like rockers & door posts but on fenders etc it is best, no damage from welding to repair. brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Sounds like a good idea. I have some in my garage now. Bought it last year to use on our Nova. Never thought about trying it on the hood of our 53. Would still have to fill the seam in though? Never had our hood apart to see how much of a seam there is ? Let us know if you try it!

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
I am not sure you really have a problem. Because I believe the hood pieces are riveted together under the hood, and the strip is entirely decorative. But I could be wrong, my truck is not here right now to confirm this.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You may have trouble, there is not much flange area between the halves of the hood. You could grind out the flange in a few spots and stitch the halves together with steel straps and use the adhesive. You will need to fill the gap between somehow and it can't flex. You may have the best luck welding the whole thing up or doing some short welds and filling the rest with lead.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 26
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 26
All,

I want to thank all of you for your thoughtful responses.

I am thinking that there is some bracing that does, or can be made to, span accross both of the halves. Per 4ontheFloor, I think that more bracing, and maybe I can salvage some that might be "u" shaped from another truck or car and fits the curve, can be glued or welded in where necessary. Per oldcarandtrucknut, I will definitely stitch the two halves together with a 1/4" mig weld every few inches and I am thinking of doing this top and bottom in addition to using the adhesive all along the "vertical" seam.

Also, I think that body filler could be used once all of the above is accomplished on the top side to span the two radiuses that will be left at the joint.

Now what do you guys think? Do you think that I have settled on a decent plan and should give it a try?

Thanks again

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 128
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 128
You have mentioned glueing and welding,these types of glues are released with heat.So any welding done next to the glue will release the glue therefore defeating the purpose of glueing.On this application I would WELD IT!,after all you are talking about glueing a hood together right down the middle way to structural.I have used glue on roof skins,door skins and the odd quarter panel and never really felt to comfortable with the end result.If glueing was that good the manufacturers would surely be using it everywhere,but for the most part the new vehicles are 90% WELDED smile


Bent Happy Haulin!
TWO 1963 GMC\'s -- A shortbox and a NAPCO!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0