The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1190422 11/10/2016 4:34 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I have an axle leaking bad and I gotta fix it. (Yes I made sure the breather was clear). I've got the differential caver off and the drum off.

I can see the c clip but there's like a box in the center of the gears keeping me from getting to it. So can someone tell me how to get that c clip off?


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
There is a pin that runs through the spider gears to hold them in place. That pin has to be removed to move the axle in far enough to remove and install the clip.

There is one small bolt at one end of the pin to remove and the pin will come out. Once the pin is out the axle can be push further into the differential to remove and then install the pin.

If you are careful the gears will stay in place.

Really not a hard job to do once you get the pin out, and once the bolt is out it may fall out or take a light pressure to pull it out.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
That "box" is the axle spacer. Pay attention to the orientation of the spacer which should not have more than 0.014" gap between the side of the spacer and end of axle. That spacer can be turned one quarter turn to either increase or decrease that gap, as the spacer is machined to different dimensions.

Roy Rodgers has it right but it might help to look at a service manual description of this process. Google "Keith Hardy Chevy Manuals" and look under the rear axle section.
kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I found the bolt but it's a slot and it's stuck, any ideas to get it loose?


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,804
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,804
Grind a screwdriver bit so it's a very snug fit in the slot, and use a pair of vise grips on the screwdriver shank to turn the bolt out. A little heat with an acetylene torch on the carrier housing in the area of the bolt won't hurt anything and might help it break free.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Jerry, he posted in another forum, he got it loose. BTW good tip about grinding an old screwdriver to fit the slot better. That can go for many stubborn bolts.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
I basically did exactly what hotrod Lincoln said including the torch. Don't really know if the torch was needed but didn't hurt.


Stovebolter -- the Next Generation
(I'm 20)

1941 Chevy 1/2-ton pickup
"Lucy"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

1967 Ford Mustang - "Sally"

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0