The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (baldeagle), 158 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
I'm gathering parts to put a 70ish 292 and MY6 transmission into a '68 gmc. I have the aluminum bell housing that was original for the transmission. I thought I had everything I need until I realized that there are no holes in the bell housing to mount the starter. [IMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/jfnar/68%20GMC/IMG_01301_zps2qev0837.jpg[/IMG]
In all the posts I've read about using the MY6 transmission I don't remember this issue being mentioned. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong please? This is the last obstacle I have to clear before I install the engine. Thanks.

Jeff


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Your 292 block should be drilled and tapped for a block mount starter.


Evan
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
I would suspect that the starter would mount to the block the same as a small block V-8. The 292 should have been available with an automatic trans which would also mount the starter to the block.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
Thanks for the info. Fortunately I have a '77 parts truck that has the right starter.


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0