The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (lumbersawyer, Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 160 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,162
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1186199 10/10/2016 12:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
Hello I removed a 4 speed from one of my parts trucks that I was thinking of using. The problem is I can not identify it. The number stamped in the rear case is RM46029. Looks to be a GM transmission from what I can tell. Any ideas on what I am dealing with?

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
It might help if we knew what year "Parts Truck" you removed it from and what engine was in front of it. Always include this info whenever you ask a new question. Don't just assume we know. Good luck in your quest. secret


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Also, if you know, what rear end (or, if the rear end is original, or, non-original).

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
Good Point
Came out of a 53 Chevy 1/2 ton. 216 engine in front with stock diff.
Sorry for not including in post.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It should be a SM 420. There will be a torque tube from the rear end that attaches to the rear of it.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
I agree it should be an SM 420. It appears the truck this was removed from originally had a 4 speed transmission because it has the correct floor plate and the correct steering column.
I am trying to id the one I have because it works and could be a good transmission. I am thinking it is from a larger truck and could be older. Thanks for your help.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
Take a look at the SM420 description at Novak Transmission. https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/sm420/


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0