| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (D B Cooper, 1955 1 Series, Rexville48, Robert Crandall, NorCal52Suburban, C10 - C90 Bill, Ponchogl),
81
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,145 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 18 | Hello I removed a 4 speed from one of my parts trucks that I was thinking of using. The problem is I can not identify it. The number stamped in the rear case is RM46029. Looks to be a GM transmission from what I can tell. Any ideas on what I am dealing with? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | It might help if we knew what year "Parts Truck" you removed it from and what engine was in front of it. Always include this info whenever you ask a new question. Don't just assume we know. Good luck in your quest. 
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Also, if you know, what rear end (or, if the rear end is original, or, non-original). | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 18 | Good Point Came out of a 53 Chevy 1/2 ton. 216 engine in front with stock diff. Sorry for not including in post. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | It should be a SM 420. There will be a torque tube from the rear end that attaches to the rear of it. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 18 | I agree it should be an SM 420. It appears the truck this was removed from originally had a 4 speed transmission because it has the correct floor plate and the correct steering column. I am trying to id the one I have because it works and could be a good transmission. I am thinking it is from a larger truck and could be older. Thanks for your help. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 277 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 277 | | | |
| |
| |