The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Joe W, Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 200 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
My vent window was installed using urethane and it cracked. Any suggestions on how to get it out. I was thinking running a razor blade down the sides and pulling as hard as possible.

Last edited by Alexmck; 07/23/2016 2:16 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Not sure what year truck your working on but on my 52 I soaked the glass where it is held in the frame by glass tape. I then tapped a screw driver between the glass and the frame starting at the top. This worked well for me but your situation may be different. I have also used Kerosene to soak the window tape.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 209
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 209
The only way I,he ever had success with is to either use a propane torch to heat the frame (you will need to remove the frame from the assembly to avoid damage to the rubber, then probably repaint) or to break the glass out and dig/cut what's left of the glass and sealant out. You could try taking the frame out and soaking in alcohol or lacquer thinner, urethane doesn't play well with either of these. If you use the heat route, avoid the fume's and smoke, I'd do it outside if possible, the fumes are nasty!! Good luck. John

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 22
I've heard both gas and kerosene work for the tape but not for the urethane. I ended up beating the window out and using a utility knife down the sides. I then used a small chisel ( or screwed driver) to pull it the rest of the way out. Frame need to be repainted after that process. Took about 2 hours to get it out. If anyone has a better way I would love to hear it in case I ever have to change another window.

Last edited by Alexmck; 07/24/2016 12:27 AM.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Best plan is to not use urethane for this purpose. I am glad that it is expensive or I would have been tempted to use it. I thought better of it, as I was thinking about the poor guy who had to come in behind me (most likely me). That stuff does not give up holding on.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0