Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,700 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,328 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,328 | Any one do any upgrades on there front brakes and bearings. I see there are upgrade kits but except the caliper brackets there must be part numbers for the disks,hoses,pads and bearings. Is it cheaper to buy separate .Do they give you the part numbers for when the breaks need replacing? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | There are kits from brake mfgrs. that are complete, depending on you mfgr. and model of truck. I suspect if you look through various magazines or Google 'front disc brake kit' you might get some answers.
What truck do you have?
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,328 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,328 | I have a 54 gmc 1/2ton 9300 series a Canadian built truck.I WAS contemplating a upgrade next year when my brakes will need replacing and wondered if the parts in the kit are common parts ,didn't want to be hosed when it came to a brake job after I purchased a kit. Also would have to replace the master cylinder also I believe. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Most 6 lug kits use '70s 4WD rotors and calipers. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Check out Scarebird, They offer the brackets then give a list of over the counter or OEM parts to complete the job.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,328 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 2,328 | Thanks I think that is the route for me. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 125 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 125 | I e-mailed Scarebird and they very quickly sent me info. on what they supply including instructions and what other components to buy which are available at my local auto supply shop. So far so good. No mention of having to grind down parts of the wheel or calliper. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Stan T, thanks for giving us some information. The more we have the better the decision we make. Keep us posted if you do business with them. If the savings is there I may even consider disc for the front of my panel at some point down the road. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,714 back yard wrench turner | | back yard wrench turner Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,714 | My '38 has a '51 front axle that I put disc brakes on.
I used 78/80 K-10 rotors and 78/80 C-10 calipers. I got the part info from CPP.
When I changed from 17" rims to 16" rims, I had to do some grinding on the calipers to get them to fit. Wayne1938 1-Ton Farm TruckStovebolt Gallery Forums1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Since 17" tires are getting popular, I was able to alleviate a steering knuckle interference problem by going to 17" wheels on my 1st, '47 4wd using K-10 front axle.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 125 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 125 | Ive ordered brackets and such from Scarebird, and have pricing on the other components. All told it comes to about$1150.00 CDN.including $100.00 for shipping. Much less in the US. $900.00 U.S. Has anyone had experience not using a vacuum booster on the master cylinder. Im thinking I won't bother unless I'm convinced otherwise. For us Canucks I see Bills Truck Shop in Ont. has CCP master cylinders which I think Ill go with. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 125 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2014 Posts: 125 | I have installed a Scarebird disc brake kit for my 53 1300 with 16" and six boltX5.5 wheels. All parts fit well and includes brackets spacers and bolts etc. Scarebird tells you what to buy in your parts store. The rotors include an integral hub set up for tapered roller bearings. I did install a 1/4" spacer on the hub and had to grind off about 1/16" off of the calliper where there is a sharp corner. I chose not to change the hub studs as suggested so bought 14 X 1.5 lug nuts instead. There is not a lot of clearance at the moment between the wheel and the calliper and I'm concerned about heat build up and expansion of the calliper. Wondering what would be appropriate clearance. Ill be installing a dual master cylinder with vac. booster which of course is on back order | | |
| |