The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, klhansen, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 178 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#116332 05/31/2005 2:05 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 65
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 65
Anyone know of a source for the gas filler tube at exterior body metal hole grommet? This is for a '51 suburban and supposedly the panel one offered at Chevy Duty does not fit the bill.

#116333 05/31/2005 2:40 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
Try Chevs of the 40's. I bet they have got one.

#116335 05/31/2005 9:48 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 355
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 355
Jim Carter Classic Truck Parts offers one for $7.95. Part no. CB139 (www.oldchevytrucks.com). Call and ask if it will work, describing what didn't work on your part from Chevy Duty.

good luck,
K


~ Kimberly
My '54 ... and my '63 and a '59 F100
#116336 06/02/2005 1:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 65
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 65
Quote
Originally posted by TooMany2count:
why??????? they have the same side body panels except one has windows in it.....joe
Yeah that's exactly what I thought. Think I'll just order it up and take my chances that the techy was wrong.

#116338 06/02/2005 5:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The ones I got from Chevy Duty and Jim Carter looked awful (edges and sides must have been cut/trimmed with a knife by a kindergarden student). The one from Steele Rubber Products looked much better and fit better.

However, it cost about double: 60-0149-41.....$ 15.40/ea.

Tim

#116339 06/02/2005 9:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 67
This is a little off-topic, but it still applies here. I am not trying to put down Chevy Duty or any of the other suppliers because overall I have been happy with them all in the past, but a word of caution on the filler grommet (and I expect other rubber components as well).

About 3 years ago, I purchased a filler neck grommet from Chevy Duty to replace the one on my truck that was likely the original one. It looked pretty nice and fit well, but now the rubber is all cracked and separating. It's almost worse than the original one. Maybe it was a fluke, but in the future, I will buy all my rubber parts, weatherstripping, etc from someone like Steele.

Anyone else have any similar experience, or was this not a normal occurance?

Aaron

#116341 06/03/2005 4:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody have any expirience with the rubber from scotts super trucks?

#116342 06/04/2005 2:07 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 183
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 183
My filler grommet is about 1 year old, and is doing the same thing. I don't remember which one I got it from (Chevy Duty, Jim Carter, American Classics, etc), but not Steele.


My dad always told me, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0