The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (RLB, Gdads51, Joe H), 153 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,091
Posts1,056,390
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
I would like to know where to attach the bracket for the crankcase draft tube. As some of you may know, I have been working on my restoration project for some time and the truck has been disassembled for many years. I should have done a better job of taking pictures. I would like for someone to post a picture of the draft tube bracket on their truck engine so I can see the proper location and method of attachment.

Thanks in advance.

John

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 339
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 339
Try looking in the truck manual for a picture of the eng. side of the draft tube, it should show where its bolted to, I think its the oil pan. root

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
Root,

The manual does not show this and have not been successful with a a search of the internet. Hence, my request fod someone to post a picture


Johm

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
John,

I also could not find an illustration in in Shop Manual or Operator's Manual, but there might be an illustration in a Factory Assembly Manual for your "generation" engine.

Here is a 1954 235 engine' road draft tube. You can almost see the metal "strap" around the tube and where it is attached to the block with a small bolt. The earlier 235/216 engines' road draft tube was, I think, attached differently.

I think the shape of the road draft tube changed when the front motor mounts changed (late 1950s?). Pre '68 Dave would be a source of knowledge of the different road draft tubes, and where they attached to the block?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....don't have a pic either but depending on the model year some did bolt to the bottom of the pan of which I'm fairly sure.
If you do not want to use a draft tube Deve has a nice article on his site how to use a PVC vale made from freeze plug/grommet and PVC valve. I did it on my 261 engine. Just an idea.....


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Depending on year of block and tube used the mounting position changed.
In Tim's link you can see one of the mounting positions. Most blocks also have another mounting option about half way between the distributor and dip stick, just above the pan rail. In this LINK you can see where it is (there is a bolt in the hole).


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 481
Thank you all. All of your responses helped to confirm my thoughts as to the location of the clamp. I frequently visit Deve's website, especially while getting the motor reassembled. There will be many more questions as I continue with my frame-off project. I am always appreciative of the Stovebolt's vast experience.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0