The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wayne67vert, Otto Skorzeny), 134 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,510
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
Hi Fellow Stovebolters

We are to the point of starting my Howard Knapp truck up for the first time(charging the battery as we speak)...I set up the cab for the first time and man oh man...there is like no room....that steering wheel is right in your face....I am 5' 6" / 150 lbs on a good day and that cab is tight...I have more leg room and head room in my 1998 S10 pickup...and it is half the physical size of the 1953 Chevy Howard Knapp truck....

Is it me or is there no room inside these cabs??? I was getting claustrophobia just sitting behind the steering wheel...if I was fat...I would never fit behind the wheel...

How do you guys fit in these trucks??? How do you guys really drive them any distance and actually be able to stand-up and walk around when the trip is done???

Just wondering out loud...I am hoping I am missing something here...

MikeC


1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I'll admit the BIG steering wheel could be a problem. Not making fun at you here but try getting in a 37 Art Deco style cab.

I'd suggest a smaller steering wheel. I had a 50 back sometime ago and it was ok for me, wife and one kid. But I was "small" then.
Some guys are using seats from cars like the Buick LeSabre's 60/40 for comfort but not sure about leg room.
No one has previously changed the seat have they?

Lets see what others say...and by the way. Congrats and good luck on the start up. There is an end to the journey...isn't there?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
big reason I got rid of my 41 Ford COE cabs. I was going to make a crew cab but still, way small in front. I settled on a 55 2-ton instead. We are planning on traveling all around the country and I want to be able to get out and walk around the same day we get somewhere! LOL


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
In my '54 630, which has a large steering wheel, I raised the whole seat track assembly, 1.5" which helps. If you need more room, I put an S-10 seat in my 1st. '47, they have thin backs.

Ed

Last edited by cletis; 02/03/2016 1:29 AM. Reason: overrode auto censor

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
With the seat pushed all the way back in my mostly still stock 49 3100, my well fed mid section clears the large stock steering wheel by about 1 1/2". I think my previously measured height of 6' has compressed by a 1/2" or so and I find the leg room to be fine. I'm running 225-75R-16's and I find the steering hard enough on the stock steering wheel, I wouldn't consider a smaller steering wheel unless I added power steering, skinnier tires or pumped the guns up more.

I take it out just about every Saturday for what ends up being a 60 to 70 mile back road cruise (around 2 hrs).
I've never had any physical or emotional problems afterwards. Matter of fact I tell the Mrs and all who'll listen that it's actually a therapy session for me.
No radio, no convo, just a thermos of Joe, a couple Little Debbie honey buns and my deep thoughts of the day enjoying the feel and sounds of 67 yr old machinery still doing it's thing grin

Dave


Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
5'8" 199.8 pounds of burliness here. (One biscuit shy of 200 pounds for those of you scoring at home.) No issues with the steering wheel yet.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Originally Posted by Volfandt
With the seat pushed all the way back in my mostly still stock 49 3100, my well fed mid section clears the large stock steering wheel by about 1 1/2". I think my previously measured height of 6' has compressed by a 1/2" or so and I find the leg room to be fine. I'm running 225-75R-16's and I find the steering hard enough on the stock steering wheel, I wouldn't consider a smaller steering wheel unless I added power steering, skinnier tires or pumped the guns up more.

I take it out just about every Saturday for what ends up being a 60 to 70 mile back road cruise (around 2 hrs).
I've never had any physical or emotional problems afterwards. Matter of fact I tell the Mrs and all who'll listen that it's actually a therapy session for me.
No radio, no convo, just a thermos of Joe, a couple Little Debbie honey buns and my deep thoughts of the day enjoying the feel and sounds of 67 yr old machinery still doing it's thing grin

Dave

Well Dave, that's an automatic top ten post. Well said!

I've gone over 100k miles on my '49 1/2 ton. I am 5' 11" and north of 200.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 256
Mike C:
Option 1-live with it.
Option 2-ditch the the in cab tank, the original bench seat and pedestal, the original steering column and steering wheel. Then install a tilt column, a smaller wheel of your choice, get a bench or bucket seat with a narrow backrest and make it power adjustable up and down and fore and aft. Only took me time and money, and 37 years later I have a 48 Chevy with all the room and comfort a 6' guy needs. And I'm still using the original steering wheel.
https://flic.kr/p/Aue3Xa


1948 5-window 3100 Chevy
327 V-8 TBI 700R4 Posi 3.73
"Old Blue"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
6'3" here and just north of 200 lbs. I feel right at home in mine.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I'm with the other guys Mike. I'm 5'8", 160 lb. and have been
comfy in my stock '50, 3600 which I've been driving a lot for
a decade now, weather permitting. I have the original seat
and coir pad, just replaced the cotton and cover back in
'05 and find it quite comfortable. A friend of mine and I
drove his stock '52 from Chicago to Kansas City several
years ago and I didn't find it uncomfortable at all
spending the while day in it.
As the other guys mentioned, just be glad you don't have
one of the earlier Art Deco's, those were really tiny.

Oh I almost forgot...you can't use the term 'fat' when
referring to ones shape, it's politically in correct
now a days. Jack Benny was the last one to use the term
when speaking of Don Wilson. Before the supreme court ruling,
my "big old wife" enforced the ban with her frying pan.


DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/03/2016 12:17 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
I find that with stock seats I can live with it. If someone has put in a seat with a thicker back my lap room goes away and my legs cramp. The best feeling seat I found was a Chevy LUV bench. My '48 has the adjustable split bench from a Tahoe and a tilt wheel. My 6'1" 270lbs fit nicely.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I'm 6' and between 195 and 220 lb depending on the year.
I've driven hundreds of miles in a day and thousands of miles in a week in my 52 with worn out stock seat. I fit just fine, and only after the first 4-5,000 miles did the seat start to feel a little stiff.
More recently in the 51 I've put at most 100 miles at a stretch so far, I still fit just the same, the stock seat is still comfy enough.

I expect after you get it running and take it for a drive you'll figure it out. You're smaller than about everyone who has commented so far and we don't have trouble fitting.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
never had a problem with my 52 stock seat, drove 500 miles in one day coming back,, tired but not because of the seat... just old.. stock seat, drum brakes, no power anything, little sweet 235 and after market radio..
cletis wrote about it.. boy I miss that truck

Last edited by joker; 02/03/2016 5:37 PM.

Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Fred thanks for posting Cletis' link. Fun read.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
ur welcome, I spend a lot of time reflecting on yester yr, some good, some bad, but I try to let today take care of it self and not worry about what tomorrow might bring.. take care my friend


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 321
HI Guys...

I rebuilt a 1947 CJ2A Willys Jeep (in 2012 & 2013)and drove it maybe 8 or 10 times to where I work and a couple little side trips...I am thinking now I guess if I can drive that little truck than I should be able to fit into the cab of an AD style truck...I think of the original Howard Knapp that I used to watch drive by my childhood home (in his AD truck)...he didnt know any better...he drove what was available at the time...so we will see how it goes...one of the guys at work told me "it is an old truck"...don't expect it to be anything more than that...I will try to listen to this sage advice...

thanks for all the advice...

MikeC

P.S. I think the american male was smaller back in the 1930's and 1940's than they are today...I think we grow them bigger today than we did then....look at the size of your kids...must be the vitamins...


1951 Chevy 3800 1-Ton
Howard Knapp
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1948 Chevy 1-Ton (sold Nov 2017)
1953 Chevy 1-Ton (sold 10/1/2016)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,290
The bigguns of the ole days had to ride in the back.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
7
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
7 Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Hi Mike
Iam 6'5" 305 lbs. and I fit in mine ok. The secret is to remove as much of the thick padding under the vinyl in the seat back and bottom section as you can get away with.
I also took floor shift off and heated it up and bent it away from my right leg. These changes made a big difference even with stock wheel.
I hope this helps you.
John


1950 Chevrolet 1300 - Canadian Built
This truck is now for sale (9/2016)
All Original
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Bolt Bucket
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
well for sure you dont want to put a small wheel on it
and then try to steer it even if you had a suicide knob


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
6'4" and north of 230lbs,stock seat but admittedly a smaller steering wheel,I cut my teeth on VW Bugs so I guess perhaps I'm just used to a sit up and beg driving position.

My right calf gets a little cramped on long distances on the gas pedal due to my knees being further forward but that's all.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Good for her Denny

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 338
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 338
Here's a post I placed on the OLDGMCtrucks forum...

Desperate for help!

For the first time in many years, I drove the family 1959 GMC 1/2 to my buddies house so that he can do a frame off restoration.

The problem I had while driving over to his place was the steering wheel was rubbing my shirt just above my belly button!! When I drove this very same truck to high school in the late 70's I didn't have this problem so I am at a loss of what's changed!

Since I only wear the highest quality tee shirts, I don't want to ruin any of them by wearing a crescent shaped hole in the front of any of them.

Any suggestions on a remedy? The seat was pushed back all the way so do I need to remove the "behind the seat" tank and reposition the seat farther back? Perhaps a smaller steering wheel is the answer. Maybe my father put too much padding in the seat upholstery and some needs to be removed? Maybe the steering wheel is not the stock wheel and father put a much bigger wheel than the stock one?

I've searched the forum on this topic and can't find any posts that help. Assuming I am not the first guy to have this problem I am open to any suggestions or advice. All suggestions will appreciated but know that I may refuse to accept or deny action on any of them. I searched eBay for a shirt sheath made of super smooth leather than I could strap on but no one seems to have such a thing.

If you need pictures of the seat, steering wheel or truck, let me know.


~~ Darcy

1959 GMC 9310 Canadian- built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe
FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Project Journals Forum
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I think the solution to your problem Darcy is to push yourself
away from the table a little sooner.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by FootStomper
Any suggestions on a remedy? The seat was pushed back all the way so do I need to remove the "behind the seat" tank and reposition the seat farther back?

Removing the gas tank will not really help. If you notice with the seat all the way back the top is touching the back of the cab. If you could slide the seat bottom further back that would make the seat back angle change to straighter up and down make a very uncomfortable seat.

You could add power steering with a smaller steering wheel...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
LOL, must be a tongue in cheek question grin

The obvious answer is to wear cheaper T shirts grin

Dave

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Footstomper,

I believe the steering wheel on a 55/56 is not dished like the one you have , so probably give more space.The old man probably put extra padding in the seat back.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0