Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 | So far I can't seem to find anything on my particular subject in the forum. Hoping one of you guys can help. I have a DD 65 SB 6 cyl 230, 3 sp, no power but I am thinking of adding power steering & brakes. My question is I want to add power steering but I need for it to be the correct type used on these trucks back in the day because I am all about originality. From what I can find out the type used is a power slave steering assembly. Can someone please help me out. Maybe part #, picture, how it fits or works, another Chevy model that uses same, any information is good info so please don,t be hesitate.
Thanks,
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,076 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,076 | Here is a lengthy tech tip on converting a 1966 3/4-ton from drum to power brakes. Does that help at least with part of your question?
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | I've seen these systems for sale. They are specific to that era. The pump is hosed to a hydraulic cylinder that is part of the linkage. It basically bolts on. PM me and I'll send pics by email. I think some Corvettes had a similar system.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 | Great!, I did see the power steering units for 59 corvettes wasn't sure if those were what 65 trucks would use. I will PM you. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 | Thanks, I think that's helpful, still looking to stay original though. If you have anymore info I could use it. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | What other info do you want?
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 | I really want to put the power steering on that would have come from the factory. I think now that power steering is either like that on the early 60's corvette or nova or something very similar. I need to verify that, where I can find one and how to be assured that's it, maybe part number. It would be nice to see a picture of one and have some feedback from someone who has driven with one. Pretty tall order I think. This forum has been very helpful but I got a ways to go yet. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | try this email address. [email protected]he should be able to help you . just yell him that you are looking for orig p/s setup for 53-66. what eng do you have. gmc will also work except that you will have to locate chevy pump mounting. he is located in southern Ca. ron
Last edited by padresag; 11/23/2015 6:10 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 21 | Bartamos i PM you but not sure if I did it correctly. Did you get it, sent one yesterday and today, got no reply | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Yes , just saw the PM. I sent pics to the address.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,098 | The original style power steering unit that was used on that series truck was very common on numerous vehicles during the 50's and 60's. It used a control valve assembly which connected to the pitman arm and a ram that connected to the frame and the tie rod. They were used on Ford cars into the 60's, 55-64 Chevy cars as well as pickups. As mentioned previously they were used on Corvettes. They had several weaknesses including numerous hoses and many places for leaks in the control valves and rams. In my opinion the main weakness was that it supplemented the manual steering box. If there was wear in the box or any of the steering components the entire system suffered. The best conversion for those trucks uses a Saganaw box from a 67-87 truck. It is self contained and they work great. The conversion if done correctly looks factory. There may be some original units around but I expect the cost will far exceed the conversion to the later model system which is far better. Fred
Last edited by rfs56trk; 11/24/2015 5:50 PM.
1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes 1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes 2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans 1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 Sir Searchalot | | Sir Searchalot Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,983 | Yes many other ways to get P.S. but poster seems set on original.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | The original style power steering unit that was used on that series truck was very common on numerous vehicles during the 50's and 60's. It used a control valve assembly which connected to the pitman arm and a ram that connected to the frame and the tie rod. They were used on Ford cars into the 60's, 55-64 Chevy cars as well as pickups. As mentioned previously they were used on Corvettes. They had several weaknesses including numerous hoses and many places for leaks in the control valves and rams. In my opinion the main weakness was that it supplemented the manual steering box. If there was wear in the box or any of the steering components the entire system suffered. The best conversion for those trucks uses a Saganaw box from a 67-87 truck. It is self contained and they work great. The conversion if done correctly looks factory. There may be some original units around but I expect the cost will far exceed the conversion to the later model system which is far better. Fred I think that 68 was the starting point and one can inc 88-91 crewcabs and suburbans ron | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 19 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 19 |
Last edited by GMC Collector; 11/26/2015 2:54 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 40 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 40 | Yes these trucks came with what you describe,a cylinder attached to the drag link,I do not recall driving one,but drove several 60s era ford mid size cars with a similar set up (mustangs,torinos).They were jumpy when the control valves got worn. | | |
| |