Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (3B, Bill Hanlon, TooMany2count, Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, GDW, 1 invisible),
114
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,460 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2015 Posts: 1 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Nov 2015 Posts: 1 | I have wiring diagram books and tech manual for my 1951 / 3100 Chevy truck but none have a wiring diagram for the heater. I have the switch under the dash and wires coming out of the blower motor with no idea what colors go where. Thank you! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Bil if this is a 6 volt system, its pretty easy. There are two wires on the heater, one of which is short and has a round terminal on it for grounding it to the heater case. The other simply goes to the switch. Then, the other terminal labeled BAT on the switch goes to your power source, usually the Ignition Switch on. If its converted to 12 volts, there is a stepdown reducer in the mix. Then its wired in this order... Ignition Switch (positive) to the Reducer, Reducer to Switch, Switch to Fan Motor. Again, the negative side is grounded to the case. I spent a lot of time on this article that may help... http://devestechnet.com/Home/Native12VUpgrade#heatersystem | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | | | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 28 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 28 | DAD550, Was the temperature control valve used on the 1950 3100? IF so, is it the same as the 1951? And do you know the make and model?
Thanks, Deron
Deron
God made man to go by motives, and he will not go without them, any more than a boat without steam or a balloon without gas.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | From what I have read on this forum heaters were installed later by dealer or shop.
I guess it would depend on what type of heater was installed in your truck
Mine is a Harrison fresh air heater and there was a ranco valve installed on the firewall.
I don't know if other brands or type used the valve.
If you post the type of heater you have maybe someone will be able to give you a better answer
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2015 Posts: 86 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2015 Posts: 86 | What's the temp rating on the thermometer you all are using with your heaters? Is this a standard thermometer used in a 216 as is used on most Chevy engines or is it something special? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Thermometer? The Ranco Valves are the same up through at least 1953 and found on only the Harrison fresh air style heater. Are you talking about that or the engine Thermostat? I run a 180 degree thermostat, but I hear they also put 160's in some. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What they called "160 degree" thermostats in 1950/51 (the stock/standard thermostat on small trucks), started opening at around 160 degrees, and were fully open at around 180 degrees. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2015 Posts: 86 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2015 Posts: 86 | Doh! Yes I meant thermostat. Is there a special one for the 216 or are they the same thing I'm familiar with for a SBC? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 863 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2013 Posts: 863 | Markiemark9,
The SBC thermostat fits perfectly in a 216. I recommend a "fail safe" thermostat. These thermostats "pop open" when they fail or get stuck, thus reducing the chance for a over heating situation.
Tim
"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."
1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup 1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD) 1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD) 1970 VW Beetle
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2015 Posts: 86 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2015 Posts: 86 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | I am restoring a 47 and a 53 now. I wish they wouldn't have cheaped out on the 53 and decided on a simple Decal as opposed to the earlier badging. I do like the fresh air aspect of the 53 one. Harder to find cores for the 53 too. Thanks for the pics Brad. I always know where to go to get information on this stuff! | | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 28 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 28 | Dads50,
Thanks. I have a Harrison also. Someone removed the valve and mounted the battery in that area. Do you know where I can find information, instructions, or pictures of the valve installation?
Deron
God made man to go by motives, and he will not go without them, any more than a boat without steam or a balloon without gas.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 28 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2015 Posts: 28 | Tim,
Thanks. I picked up a copy of the 1950 accessory installation manual.
Deron
God made man to go by motives, and he will not go without them, any more than a boat without steam or a balloon without gas.
| | |
| |