The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nhluvstruck, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, DHedrick, Ponchogl, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1125038 09/19/2015 9:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
I have been thinking about putting my old oil bath air cleaner back on for a more original look. I stored it for about 10 years so it's very dry at this point. The horse hair mesh in the filter is dried out and some of it shakes off. Should I be concerned that some of this loose filter mesh will be sucked down the intake or do you think that it will be captured in the oil at the bottom of the base of the air cleaner?

Also I've been thinking of modifying the oil bath to a paper filter. I found this on a Ford site. Looks like it's a good modification.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1063658-drying-out-the-old-oil-bath-air-cleaner.html
Mark


1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
A fram CA148 will replace the oil bath element nicely. No cutting involved.


Ed
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
I'll check this out. Thanks Ed.


1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
How do you use a Fram CA148 without cutting open the oil bath air cleaner? I have a 1949 3100 with the 216 cu.in. engine. My oil bath air cleaner where the fiber filter is located is sealed.
Would like to see some photos.

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
It would need to be cut. At least mine would.


1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks for the original post, and for the Fram part number. The air filter was always one of my least favorite engine parts on my 57 3100, that and the oil bath oil filter. I'll probably use a turkey baster to drain that one this time, though, instead of wringing out a rag 6 or 8 times like I used to do in high school.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Stovebolt search for this thread: Re: Removing the Oil Bath Air Filter?

Good descriptions and part numbers for paper filters. The link below is method I used in my 283. Happy with result.


http://home.comcast.net/~svwilbur/ChevyPU57_filter_Conversion.html


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
My air cleaner looks like this. I simply removed the entire filter element assy and replaced it with the CA148. Put cover back on and done!

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0677.htm

Last edited by Forty9; 09/20/2015 6:39 PM. Reason: clarification

Ed
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Guess they must have made different styles of oil bath air cleaners? Mine is definitely sealed. Would like to get rid of the oil bath, but really don't want to cut on the original air cleaner. I'll look for one that has a lid and is not sealed. Would this still be correct for a 1949 3100 1/2 ton with the 216 cu.in. engine?

Tim

Last edited by fixit1958; 09/20/2015 8:55 PM.

"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
Can't say if it's correct. Picture posted was from 48-51 shop manual.

Last edited by Forty9; 09/20/2015 11:11 PM.

Ed
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
There are three OEM options for the AD that I know of.
First is the small open element dry type:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8250844197/in/album-72157632186114015/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/15614673146/in/album-72157631868452754/
Second is the small oil bath common to the Thriftmaster Series it is called the 1-pound (some materials call it 1-pint) in the Salesman Data Books, R.P.O. 216D on a 3100.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/16336222880/in/album-72157631868452754/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129088452/in/album-72157631867396207/
The last common to the Loadmaster Series is this, referred to as the 2-pound (some materials call it 1-quart) in the data books, R.P.O. 216E on a 3100.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/12315093845/in/album-72157640522200463/
As Tim refers to here is the PVC equipped style.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129417263/in/album-72157631868452754/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129442056/in/album-72157631868452754/

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
There were at least three of the "third" style air cleaners - ones on big truck engines.

I have one from pre-54 that was not like the ones in 54.

1954 big truck oil-bath air cleaner (no PCV)
1954 big truck (especially 261) oil bath air cleaner

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I see you have now added a third cleaner.

As I posted above, I also had a pre-54 big-truck air cleaner that did not look like the last one you posted/added.

There were 1lb, 2lb, and 4 lb oil bath air cleaners, not counting cleaners with PCV set-up.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
Tim
Any oil bath air cleaner would have to be able to separate and disassemble to refill with oil. You may have a silencer/air filter that came on cars - not trucks. My 50 Chevy came with one and you could not disassemble it. The engine was from a 1954 automobile with a Powerglide transmission. The carburetor had an automatic choke and the air cleaner was welded together. Not correct for a truck. Fortunately the truck also came with a correct 235 carburetor and wire maze air cleaner.
Mike

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Four pound picture?

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 241
HB. Thanks for posting the link. That is exactly the same oil bath air cleaner that I have.


1956 Chevy 3200, 1/2 Ton, 235 CI
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQQo1YnFjs3U7xB57
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Brad Allen
Four pound picture?
Nope, no picture, just a reference: 1949 5000 series

5000 series = COE

I have a 54/55 GMC COE and it's oil bath air cleaner is an oddity, but it could be adapted to work with/on a down-draft carb.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Thanks, DADS50 (and, from my own web site).

One of the odd oil bath air cleaners I had was like tht 1508 air cleaner (Sedan Delivery).

The 5000 series air cleaner shown for 1950 is completely different from the one on my 54/55 GMC.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
No problem.
You provided me those links 5 1/2 years ago

Originally Posted by tclederman
The other air cleaner that you are showing is both smaller and more common than yours.

Optional 1500/3000/4100/4400 oil bath air cleaner (1950)

Same 1-qt filter in 1954

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
In case anyone is interested, here is one on my 54/55 GMC COE. It is probably a 1 or 2 quart air cleaner.

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Thanks to everyone that gave me input! What air cleaner do I look for on my 1949 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton pick-up that will be correct?

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Correct is the open element, 1-pint/pound or the 1-quart/2-pound I posted, your choice.

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Brad thank you!! I guess these air cleaners are rare. I haven't found any in good shape where I have looked.

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Hit a few good swap meets, I usually see a couple of the oil
bath types at most of them that I go to.
The standard "Flame Arrester" types show up once in a while but
they are being reproduced and sold by the vendors with a little
searching. Classy Chevy USA has them on their ebay store.
dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
A 49 216 with it's original A/C
Same 49 216 w/a replacement oil bath , date & type unknown. Got it off ebay.
I purchased another oil bath at a swap meet (no pic at this time) and it's different from the orange one but is similar in size.
Good luck
Dave

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
I just converted my oil bath air cleaner to a paper filter element. The oil bath was a two-piece filter (click) and I didn't want to cut it up, you just never know.....

I found a decent three-piece top on EBay for ten bucks and installed a NAPA FIL 2193. It's 4" tall and fills up the oil bath reservoir (click). adequately.

Hope this helps, good luck!



Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I have several of the stock 1950 half ton oil bath filters that I can part with if anyone needs one. I decided to keep watching Ebay for the original style Air type filters and replaced all mine with those using a new style filter. Like these:

http://devestechnet.com/Home/AirFilter

The document is obviously incomplete but has what I have done regarding this issue.


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0