The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MaxStewart, MikeE, ShopRag, 59 fleet, DougH6100, Hotrod Lincoln), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
I recently took my radiator to get it cleaned, but they said it had massive leaks and would need a new core at $450, or new radiator for $895. I looked on e-bay and saw a new 3 row aluminum radiator for $199. It looks just like the original, but says the top inlet is 1.5" and the lower outlet is 1.75". My radiator inlet measures 1.25" and the lower is 1.5". I will need to call them to find the differences. Does anyone have any experience with these or other ideas for replacement?


Steve
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Don't know about that ebay item, check country or origin.

I've had good luck with U S Radiator

...link...

...link..

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 100
I too, recently replaced a 1946 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup original radiator with a new one from US Radiator. Great price, quick ship and awesome product. Truck temp runs 170 -180 consistently.

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Thanks for your input. I have a new radiator ordered from US Radiator.


Steve
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
They are the best solution that we have today, i.e., US Radiator.
But, not perfect. Three complaints that I have are:
1st. The lower tank is not the same shape as the original
tank. If you use the crank to turn your engine during tune-ups
the bottom tanks are straight across and block the path. You
will no longer be able to use a crank.
2nd. The upper tank is not the same shape as the original tank.
Additionally the top of the new radiator will set lower in
the core support than an original tank.
3rd. The support brackets were not a good fit to the original
core support holes and were not soldered on the core straight.
I had to open up a couple of holes to make it fit.
As with the Chinese made items, just a little more effort
with their tooling and assembly fixtures and they would
have a perfect replacement part.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 09/09/2015 11:57 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
D
Gas Pumper
Gas Pumper
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,399
I had the same problems minus the holes. They aligned okay. What I didn't like was that the filler neck follows the contour of the top of the radiator as opposed to being flat and straight. But what a wonderful radiator! With the updated core I won't have cooling problems for a very long time!


Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0