The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112268 09/07/2004 6:25 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 45
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 45
I cleaned up one of my fenders on my 41 and I have a lot of pin holes where it rusted through. What is the best way to fix? I have a mig welder and can use that but at my lowest setting it normally burns thorugh and then I have to fix the newly created hole also. I know a tig welder would probably be better but I cannot afford one right now. Thanks in advance to any help.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
Are you using gas with your mig or flux core wire? I had a problem welding thin stuff when I was using flux core. After I switched over to gas and a thinner gauge wire, I could weld the thinner stuff. I still get burn thru every now and then but, it's operator error. Wrong angle and such.
Just as MetalMan said though, you've got make sure you get rid of all the corroded metal. Otherwise you'll be right back at sqaure one a year from now.


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
#112270 09/08/2004 11:13 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
A fellow bolter taught me to use a copper backup plate when welding up holes. Works great, keeps it from burning through.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 45
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 45
Thanks for the help. I do use a copper as a backing , but it is still takes a lot of time. I guess I will just have to take my time and do it right and not get an a hurry.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Patience is a virtue when welding. Every time I have screwed something up, it has been due to rushing.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0