The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, Bill Hanlon, Jon G), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,454
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1120259 08/22/2015 12:57 AM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,181
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,181
I'm ready (I think) to revisit the where in the world upgrade, and I'd like some input from you.

The Where in the World page has been around a long time. It's getting long in the tooth now, and nobody has added to it in quite a while.

So question number 1 is, do we still need/want this thing? Is anybody using it?

If so, my thought was we could create a database with the information bolters want in it, and then you could search the database for what you were looking for.

For example, if you live in Australia, you could search for any bolters who have submitted their information and live in Australia.. (Since it's entirely voluntary, it would only be populated with info from people who wanted to be contacted.)

If you wanted to talk to someone who owned the same (or similar) truck as you, you could search by year, make and model and find any that are in there.

The thing is, if people aren't going to use it, it's not worth the effort. I'm not a programmer or a database designer, but I know enough to cobble together something that might be useful. (If there are any bolters who program and want to volunteer to help, I'd be tickled pink to talk to you.)

My thinking is to use php and mysql to create the page. Data would be submitted through the page and inserted into the database. Searching could include checkboxes like Chevy and GMC (so you could chose both), and text boxes for City, State and Country, as well as model and year (all optional).

Unless someone objected, I would enter the existing data into the database myself.

The existing form has fields for the following information:
Quote
Name (please enter the name you normally use)
Nickname (the nickname you use in the Forum)
Email Address
City (where you live)
State or Province
Country
Year, Make & Model of your truck
URL that "points to" your truck(s)
If someone has multiple trucks, they could enter all the information once, check a box that says add more or something like that and the code would prefill all the form fields except the truck filed and then create multiple truck records all pointing to the same person record.

Comments? Suggestions? Criticisms?


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
A lot of people, including myself, would like to not publicize our info. However, in todays world if one wants to find someone bad enough there are usually ways to do it in todays world.
However, I think it'd be nice to at least know the STATE and the COUNTY one lives in case I'd like to contact someone, or maybe even visit. I could tell folks I live in Spartanburg County in S.C. and they would know if distance is a problem in perhaps dealing with someone. Am I making sense here? In other words at least the "general vicinity" of where one is without giving out your street address.
Example. I know lots of guys in N.C. I'd like to get together with....if in Cleveland county no sweat as its relative close by but if from county "X" which may be 300 miles from me then I can forget driving there for a "day trip". Is this any clearer??
I didn't think so...LOL


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
I think it is a great idea. I find that so many just post their State or just USA and that is not helpful at all. Even a few are posting fictional locations. The information you are proposing is not a big invasion of anyone's privacy. Bolter's going on cross country excursions, such as Builders IRWIPI adventures, could use it for social purposes or emergency assistance if they break down on the road. As proposed it would be only those who want to participate so those who have anti social tendencies could opt out. I say go for it.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
That was my reasoning for Illinois People in the Great Lakes Bolters forum. Trying to find out if anybody was close to me without giving out there exact location.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Just keep the required information to a useful minimum.
Allow the posting of Optional information.

Required: Name (please enter at least the first name you normally use)
Required: Username/Nickname (the username/nickname you use in the Forum)
Optional: Email Address
Optional: City or County or Parish or Region (where you live)
Required: State or Province
Required: Country
Required: Year, Make & Model of your truck (multiple entries allowed)
Optional: one or more URLs that "points to" your truck(s) (photo, website, etc)

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,181
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,181
Alvin, have you ever Googled yourself? grin


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,079
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,079
If it would at all be possible, I think rather than an email address, the contact should go via the registration name in the forum. Many people have lots of email addresses and that was one of the "busy" points on keeping the World page updated in the beginning.

I guess I am more guarded than most. I would rather say I have a Chevy and GMC truck and live in Southern Maryland (our version of a "county") but definitely not the state.

If someone comes along who lives in MD and wants to know more about us, they should go to John's signature line. This way, each person can keep as much information private as they like but still giving others an idea that they are "out there" ... make sense?

We have some folks with nice stuff. I have even started leaving off the cities on the gallery stories as I would hate to be the one who directed some creep to a really nice AD 1-ton that ends up missing.

The idea of the World page was just to see who your neighbor was. Besides, we have some Bolters here who don't have trucks any more. I think it would still be nice for them to be counted, so to speak.

The other nice thing about not having the email listed on the World page, it will make it harder for anyone to harvest them. If you "meet" someone there, you can scope them out in the forum and check their posts to see if they seem to be fine upstanding Bolters ... which most of our gang are.

On the trucks again, you can say Big Bolt, Panel, Burb, maybe. Will people actually do a search for similar years? We have all that in the Gallery breakdown pages? Just wondering ...

Thanks for taking this task on Paul. I think it will be helpful to the people who are trying to meet up with one another. They seem to be doing pretty good to find each other via the forum, but I bet this will help.

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Originally Posted by baldeagle
Alvin, have you ever Googled yourself? grin


Tiny, it doesn't take long to find out there are a lot of "chipmunks" out there. However, I haven't told everyone, every thing smile

What ever the boss decides on this will be fine for me. Maybe we can start out small and add stuff if it becomes necessary.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,079
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,079
That is a smart idea (starting out small). I hope more and more folks will "group" like it has done so far. We keep reminding ourselves of our initial vision of this site -- think of a virtual garage. If you want to meet with a bunch of 60-66 guys after you've tinkered on someone's truck, that's great! Post a sign somewhere (well, an appropriate place) in the VG.

We were fortunate to be in several USMC base auto hobby shops and I got to see what went on there besides the wrenching. The hobby shop personnel just kept the place in order, and the people orderly (enough). Connecting people -- I guess we were social media before it was everywhere. Gosh, good thing John didn't pick a name like "Old Truck Tweet" .... grin


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 506
I like the idea as well. When the time comes to drive my burb from Kansas City back to wherever I end up next, I'd love to have a list of emergency contacts along the route in case she gives up the ghost halfway home.


Thanks

Larry
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,181
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,181
If there are any programmers following this, I could use some help. This is getting complex.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0